tyo asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

In the 1950s did married couples actually sleep in seperate beds?

if so when did it stop? and what was the purpose?

Favorite Answer

Some married couples sleep in separate beds today. I think the main reasons are unhappy marriages and having different comfort needs. In the 50's they showed separate beds on TV for the sake of modesty and decency.

Well,Tyo, I was just a little guy about 6 yo, but my parents shared the same bed, so did my Granddad and grandma, my aunt and uncles, neighbors all did too. Was it financial, rent, utilities, food etc... maybe. Was it just the "custom", the way things are, have always been, and will always be...maybe. Was it sexual...I guess, everyone I knew had at least 3 or 4 kids, "and one in the oven!" Could not relate what was being said with what was being... Did I say I was kinda a dumb kid...I guess. But I can remember that a bit later I noticed that Ward and June(? long time ago) Cleaver of "Leave it to Beaver" fame had separate beds. As did Dezi and Lucy and "The Brady Bunch" and..did I say it was a long time ago. But those were family TV programs, and FAMILY was BIG on TV, and morality was too much in style. So I think that was all show, no tell. You know, like it or not our parents, their parents and their parents, parents etc, etc on down the line must of, or HAD to have sex or we wouldn't be here. As I was saying, separate beds? Not to my knowledge. The only purpose would have been to "turn the sexual tensions to way above the fever pitch". No separate beds.

Source(s): Life experiences, nothing to brag about.

Arabs, listen to this: Above me lives a arab family with 2 small children. During the night between 2 and 5 AM a very loud noise like dropping a heavy object on the floor and bouncing a few times wakes me up. Following the noise I hear children crying and steps running from another room toward the living room where the children sleep. What could be ? Do they sleep in a makeshift bed that falls apart ?

No it was for the censors only. It stopped on American television with the tv series "Bewitched". After it was a ratings winner, Elizabeth Montgomery refused to have her and her (tv) husband in singles beds.

• Grime4 years agoReport

Actually Mary Kay and Johnny was the first television show to have a married couple in the same bed.

1

Source(s): Keep Marriage Alive http://enle.info/SaveYourMarriage/?7yC7

My grandparents actually did. Or at least they started to after they had 5 kids in about 6 years. I asked my mom about this when we went to visit them and she simply said "Meemaw needs a break."

No. That was joked about by people...how on TV they could only show separate beds.

• John P

Some did, as some have done throughout history. Some still do. Incidentally "separate" - spelling.

Only on TV shows because they couldn't show anything that would even imply sex.

Source(s): My mom had 9 kids. That doesn't happen in separate beds, :P

No. That was only in movies, so that people wouldn't think dirty thoughts about it.