Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Something hard to explain, do you understand this?

I have no idea how I'm going to explain this but here I go.This happened a couple of times in my life, and it happens very, VERY rarely. Like, I don't know, once or twice a year, I've never actually counted.

So I'm there, living my life, when for no particular reason I start staring at someone doing something. It can be anything, like: sweeping dust, cleaning a pool, looking for something on a magazine, very mundane stuff. When this happens, they are always making some kind of movement, as if their movement was scripted, it kind of repeats itself like a dance, and by looking at this repetition I start feeling some chills, like when you listen to that music you like so much, but this one has a different feeling. It's a good feeling, I think it's releasing one of the chemicals responsible for the feeling of pleasure (not sexual btw ¬¬), but why? Sometimes I try to do it at will but I just can't. I have no idea what it is...do you have any idea what I'm talking about?

Favorite Answer

I have spent years researching this after meeting a young man who claimed this was happening to him. It may feel pleasurable, but the truth is actually quite harrowing.

You see, Nathan (may I call you Nathan?), it all started when this young man whose name was Kevin Jenks approached me in the middle of my afternoon visit to the grocery store. I was mindlessly examining a can of yams when he tapped me on the shoulder, introduced himself, and told me his story.

He too had been experiencing these phenomena and had sought me out in hope of finding out why it was happening (I was then a respected researcher in the field of neurology). I asked him why he had approached me in the grocery store rather than my lab, and this, Nathan, is where things took a turn for the worse.

It seemed he had suspicions that he was being watched. He did not know by who, or why, or how. At first I thought he was mad. Then I noticed the ominous man in the trench coat and sunglasses behind him, who had been reading the label of a can of corn for over five minutes. I quickly ushered Kevin to my car and we returned to my lab.

I ran thorough tests on Kevin to determine that not all mundane, repetitive motions caused these feelings of euphoria. In fact, not a single test proved positive. It was only when we ventured out onto the street that a green-visored man sweeping the sidewalk in front of a haberdashery left Kevin suddenly and inexplicably entranced. The green-visored man saw me eyeing him suspiciously and immediately took off down the street. I pursued, and, having run track throughout high school and college, was easily able to overtake him and tackle him to the ground. Kevin had since broken out of his trance and helped me subdue the man and drag him back to my lab.

After many, many hours of what I will call 'intense interrogation,' the green-visored man finally revealed what was going on. Kevin Jenks, it seemed, was one of only 0.001% of the population to be born with an immunity to the intelligence suppressors dissolved in the nation's water supply by the federal government. Almost every single human (and several dog breeds, including the basset hound and the shih tzu) throughout history that exhibited this trait were major figures in underground movements aimed at suppressing the government's ability to convince the public through propaganda that the words 'alot,' 'definately,' and 'noone,' among others, exist. We found that this was being done because the Reagan Administration had laid claim to these words and were now profiting at .05 cents every time one was used. Because of this, it was the practice of the government to subtly regain control of these wild cards with the use of public hypnosis, e.g. the green-visored man sweeping, your examples of pool cleaning, etc. How this is accomplished, I don't know. It still remains a mystery. You may be on to something in that it could release pleasure-inducing chemicals in the brain. I'll look into it.

Anyway, the next day, I returned to the lab to find the green-visored man escaped and Kevin missing. I looked for him frantically for years without success until the fateful day I caught sight of him in front of that very same haberdashery. I greeted him with surprise, relief, and wonder, but he refused to recognize me. No matter what I said, his memory failed to jog. I backed away, horrified, as he removed his green visor to wipe the sweat from his brow.

My advice to you, Nathan, is to hide. Never again tell anyone this sensation you experience, or you could be captured and lobotomized as I fear Kevin was. Be careful. There are people who can shelter you. If you ever run into a woman named Allison Janney, utter the phrase, "It's not about whether you win or lose, it's about how much Monopoly money you can steal from the person next to you before they notice." She will guide you to a safe house.

And if you should ever, EVER see a man with a green visor, I beg of you, Nathan, do as Kevin should have done all those years ago- run.

Source(s): My sources cannot be revealed lest they too be tracked down and neutralized.
  • eli

Because I share similar experiences I'll do my best to try to explain to you what I theorize as an explanation to myself. There really are no words to explain these things, words fall short. As does humanity.

Complexity theory has been used extensively in the field of strategic management and organizational studies. It is used in these domains to understand how organizations or firms adapt to their environments. The theory treats organizations and firms as collections of strategies and structures. When the organization or firm shares the properties of other complex adaptive systems - which is often defined as consisting of a small number of relatively simple and partially connected structures - they are more likely to adapt to their environment and, thus, survive. Complexity-theoretic thinking has been present in strategy and organizational studies since their inception as academic disciplines.

Karl Marx's theory hasn't really transpired, but we couldn't say the same for Spinoza or Kant. Spinoza said that political states were necessary for equilibrium because humanity will never be without "quarrelsomeness, endless competitive vanity and an insatiable desire to possess or to rule." Kant seemed to further imply that this "nature of ours" may be a means, but is definitely an ends.

Plato's "allegory of the cave" tried to explain why humanity will never have the capacity to see reality.

Descartes' mind/body dualism said that the mind (an immaterial thing and separate from the brain) controls the body (the material thing which includes the brain).

you can never really explain that which you don't truly understand

adaequatio rei et intellectus

even the saying that we use 10% of our brain is a misunderstanding

it is not possible, that we don't use it all at one time is true

i say we use 5% of our mind's capacity

this is partly because of the influences of the society we are raised in (Spinoza)

and partly because of our emotions ( Kant and Plato)

i have to wonder if Kant, Spinoza, and Plato were getting at

pure reason is beyond our capacity because the mind is inextricably fettered to the body

at least while we're still alive, but what does that say of free will