Can i expunge my record in Illinois?

This is the first time i've ever been in trouble with the law, and im 18

Hey, not too long ago i went to court for stealing a $6.00 shirt from old navy and the judge sentenced me to 24 hours community service. Once im done will the judge dismiss my case? Also how long will it take to have my record and arrest expunged?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You have been sentenced, the judge can't dismiss your case. Ask your attorney if you are eligible to have your record expunged.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

First of all, everyone deserves a second chance. People make a mistake now but they can turn their life around and do something positive. Getting your record expunged varies from state to state. Each state has different requirements for expungement. Most states understand that people make mistakes and provide qualified people with legal channels to get it their records expunged. You call an attorney and they actually charge between 800-1500 or you can file pro se and save alot of money. You can take a free eligibility test on shredmyrecord to find out if you qualify. They help people not only with eligiblity, but with all the paperwork. Do not rely on the advise of friends, court clerks or anyone who is not authorized to practice law. There are too many well meaning people who know only enough about expungement to be dangerous, not helpful.

• 3 years ago

they are able to work out your arrest on a rap sheet if the placement has something to do with regulation enforcement. Non LE can't legally get entry to the guidance. purely the checklist of arrest continues to be obtainable. the honestly arrest checklist is destroyed as is your call from the honestly case checklist. Makes little distinction through fact none can use in basic terms an arrest without conviction. this is Fed regulation. fumy you may desire to ask approximately Illinois. The keeper of the information in Illinois is the State Police. For years they refused orders from judges to completely expunge information, they left the precis data of the arrest on the rap sheet. That State criminal professional customary sued in Fed court and the state police won.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.