Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Can anyone help me out with the Russian Revolution and what exactly happen?

I read a book called Animal Farm and had to make a project, I'm going to compare the 2 together but I know nothing about the Russian Revolution.. So these are things that happen in the book and I'm wondering how they relate..

Did the citizens have meetings and decided to rebel with force? How'd it work?

Did someone take over and that man was later chased away and another leader came into play?

Did anyone/any country attempt to take Russia over (happen twice in the book)

How did the revolution end (in the book they continued under corrupt rule and allied with neighboring countries)

If anyone can help, thanks a lot

Favorite Answer

1) No, the citizens did not have meetings where they decided to rebel. What happened was that strike committees, and soviets (councils) organised demonstrations against the Tsar.

2) Yes, Prince Lvov led the Provisional Government, then, when he resigned, Alexander Kerensky took over. Kerensky was forced to flee during the October Revolution.

3) Sort of - Soon after the October Revolution Russia withdrew from WWI, the Germans were granted massive amounts of Russian territory in the peace treaty (the Treaty of Brest-Litovsk). Soon afterwards the Western Allies occupied many Russian ports, to try to force Russia back into the war, and to supply the anti-Bolshevik White Armies. During WWII the Nazis invaded the USSR, they were eventually driven back all the way to Berlin.

3) There was no official end to the revolution, the real revolution began once the Bolsheviks seized power with the nationalisation of industry and the land. It intensified during the civil war period, and consolidated throughout the 1920s and early 1930s.

I would argue that the policy that signalled the end to the revolution was Stalin's policy of Socialism in One Country in 1926 (this is when Trotsky argued the revolution ended) or the implementation of the first Five Year Plan in 1928, when radical ideas solidified into the long term state policy. This is where the Revolution ends in Animal Farm.

However, the rule was not really corrupt and most of the leadership lived fairly spartan lifestyles, although managers had to resort to some sharp practises to fulfil their plans. In Animal Farm the alliance with the neighbouring country is an allegory for the Nazi-Soviet Pact - an alliance of convenience that ended when the Nazis invaded the USSR.

See:

http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/1936/revbe...

Personally I find Animal Farm to be too simplistic and a poor method of teaching the Bolshevik period.