xesse asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

Did famous Bipolars take meds?

honest answer

• kim
    Favorite Answer

Well yes , Cheryl Crowe takes meds for Bipolar and a few others that opened my yes. It is after all a physical illness of the brain and yes meds can help (but keeping in touch with the doc and therapy along with that) wish I could remember the others but my mother was very intelligent and she had to deal with that. Oh yea , Brittney Spears

I think some do, some don't. In the past, surely few did.

Ernest Hemingway seemingly blamed ECT for his suicide, saying it was a brilliant cure, but they lost the patient.

Given how disabling the meds are, I think that it is hard to take the meds and maintain any occupation at all. Lithium isn't so bad, or depakote, but nowadays, the docs are pushing antipsychotics onto people, and you may as well give it up and go on disability if you take those meds long term, for most people. Lamictal turned out to be a big fake, and doesn't do any better than placebo in most studies. so there went one of the less side effect laden meds out the window.

I suspect few famous people with bipolar are taking antipsychotic medications, if they are still working.

• quite a few do but others don't as the medications use to treat bipolar disorder tends to stunt the affected person's creativity.