A guy who broke into my car is Suing me for breaking his nose?

It was 2am, I was on my balcony just sitting and on my phone. Until I see 3 mexican guys in their 20s (not being racist but specific) stop near my car look inside and they starting pointing at stuff inside it. I have my Medical Computer in there worth over $3,000 and it's not mine it's the Hospital I... show more It was 2am, I was on my balcony just sitting and on my phone.
Until I see 3 mexican guys in their 20s (not being racist but specific) stop near my car look inside and they starting pointing at stuff inside it.

I have my Medical Computer in there worth over $3,000 and it's not mine it's the Hospital I work for as a Technitian.

I quickly ran downstairs and waited to see if they would do something.
they broke 2 of the windows at ones! then i ran to them, they heard me and quickly ran.
I caught up to one and he started throwing punches at me, I felt bad because I knew he was lower class and Im not the violent type but the only way for me to stop him was to fight back..

i took one punch at his nose and he fell bleeding.
I called the cops afterwards.

Im afraid I will pleed guilty because I was in the Army and a kick boxer for a long time and I dont want them to think I was using these skills as my advantage.

also these guys looked way older than me..
please give me advice.

my dad told me i did the right thing because its about time someone does it. Couple of months ago someone stole all 4 wheels from my neighbors car..
while ago someone broke into my dads car and stole money, glasses, change etc..

please advice.