Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 9 years ago

Is it possible for dual citizenship?

Hello.

I'm a born and raised Portuguese citizen.

And I was wondering, if is it possible for me to have dual citizenship.

Portuguese and American.

I'm asking this because in Europe you are allowed to free roam, even though there are several countrys.

I guess my question is:

Is is possible to obtain dual citizenship? and be able to jump from continet to continent, or do i have to abdict my current citizenship in order to obain the American one.

Thanks

• Favorite Answer

Dual Citizenship: The U.S. government allows dual citizenship. United States law recognizes U.S. Dual Citizenship, but the U.S. government does not encourage it is as a matter of policy due to the problems that may arise from it. It is important to understand that a foreign citizen does NOT lose his or her citizenship when becoming a U.S. citizen. An individual that becomes a U.S. citizen through naturalization may keep his or her original citizenship. However, as some countries do not recognize dual citizenship, it is important to consider it carefully before applying for U.S. citizenship.

Dual citizenship is a complex issue and it is important to understand that there are not only benefits but also obligations that comes with being a dual citizen. Being a citizen of two countries means that you need to obey the laws of both countries, which may include paying taxes and serving in the military. The "United States Dual Citizenship Guide"explains these issues in detail.

Note: The "United States Dual Citizenship Guide" is an information guide. It does not contain specific information on how to apply for U.S. citizenship. For U.S. citizenship application requirements and procedures you should order the "U.S. Citizenship Information and Application Guide."

Usually you can have dual citizenship only if the second citizenship is obtained automatically such as by marrying a foreign national. If you apply for citizenship you are required to renounce your previous citizenship.

I even have twin citizenship Australian/British. My buddy replaced into entitled to 3 citizenships. Australia is effective with twin citizenship (have been because of the fact 2002). do no longer understand why you're aggravated with the Australians. possibly you're asking the questions interior the incorrect place. you may attempt asking the Germans approximately twin nationality. once you're Australian going to German then you definately're in all risk unlikely to get it yet once you're German to Australian then in case you get permission (Beibehaltungsgenehmigun) then you definately could be waiting to maintain your German nationality.

yes,it possible