Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentGovernment · 9 years ago

What would you do if you were the President of the United States?

Okay, so here's a fun speculative question. Let's say you're a candidate 2012 presidential elections and guess what happens? You've won!. Congratulations! You are now arguably the most powerful person on the planet. What actions would you take as POTUS to address and fix the USA's current problems and bring us back on top? What would be the motivations behind these actions? Will you truly be the leader and representative of the American people or are you just another two-faced pocket-lining politician? Please elaborate below.

Favorite Answer

I'd take a meat axe to gov't spending, over 5 years. We'd need to cut $300 Billion per year, to balance our budget.

First on the list to go is any gov't program that has totally failed to achieve it's objectives. The Dept of Energy and the Dept of Education have actually let things get worse, not better, since their creation.

Then next on the list are programs that have succeeded, yet linger on. Though not a federal gov't program, the Tennessee Valley Authority is an example. It's goal was to bring electrification to rural areas. It succeeded, yet it's still around.

Corporate subsidies come next.

Then it's time to look at defense. Bases in stable parts of the world need to be closed. Do we really need numerous bases all throughout Europe now? Keep a few for logistics, but the rest should go.

Then we look at entitlements. This one is the toughest, because commitments have been made. Yet we'll need to cut spending on these as well. None of them are very desirable, but I'll push them through anyway.

If we haven't solved the deficit after that, then across the board cuts on discretionary spending.

• andy

I would tell BOTH parties to do the hard job of fixing Social Security and Medicare. I would inform Congress to work on passing a balanced budget Amendment for non-war time. I would pull back from the UN since they hate our guts except when they need our military. I would make the hard decision to put limits on welfare so you don't have multiple generational families living off of the Government. I would tell Congress to give back to the States a lot of the stuff they have taken away including Education. I would also tell the immigration agency to crack down on illegal aliens while making it easier for businesses to hire immigrants who want to work here get their documentation.

Put an end to illegal immigration, give huge incentives for companies to stay in America, make sure the workers (the backbone) of our country are treated fairly, give a stimulus to all making under 60k, and have a national bank to assist people who, when able, would pay it back. In other words, things to get our economy out of the gutter.

• If I were president:

1. Declare martial law

2. Close the borders

3. Deport illegal aliens

4. STRONGLY urge congress to implement confiscatory import tariffs

5. STRONGLY urge congress to eliminate export tariffs

6. STRONGLY urge congress to give tax breaks to companies that manufacture or render service solely within the U.S.A. AND employing _only_ U.S.A. Citizens

7. STRONGLY urge congress to withdraw the U.S.A. from the U.N.

8. STRONGLY urge congress to implement strict term limits

9. STRONGLY urge the U.S. Citizen to demand that congress implement strict term limits

10. STRONGLY urge congress to make lobbying activities a felony

11. STRONGLY urge the U.S. Citizen to demand that congress make lobbying activities a felony

12. Remove the presidential moratorium on domestic oil production

There that will get our country on the right path again and it is plenty enough to get me shot.

i'd fire half the idiots in washington, day 1. then expose the UFO bulsht, have fox news casters blow me, then turn this country on a 180 for hydro, solar, and wind power ( which shoulda happened 50 years ago )

Use the Patriot act to put Glenn Beck in jail for stupidity :)

first thing legalize marijuana/mushrooms set the age at 21 tho

pull out of libya completely leave it to nato

pull out of iraq completely let em fend for themselves

arrest over half of congress/wall street for tax fraud and other things

demolish the death penalty

and **** idk there's alot more but thts all i can think bout