Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

What did Louis XIV mean by "letat, c'est moi"?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

He was saying "I am the state" thus making himself the personnification of France and asserting that he was the decision maker, he was the absolute monarch and he had total control. It was a warning to others.

• 3 years ago

Letat Cest Moi

• 4 years ago

A side remark: although this remark is atttributed to Louis XIV, it is the current understanding that he never said that. It does seem to fit though, as he ruled without prime minister. Do the reach of the state was rather limited at that time.

• 9 years ago

Translation: " The state, it's me". Means that in his France, the government was the king and that no one else, the nobility, the clergy, and most of all the people...had a say in what the law was and how it was to be enforced. It is exactly the opposite of "of the people, for the people and by the people", which is how the founding fathers of the US defined our government.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • sarah
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

L Etat C Est Moi

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

L'etat, C'est Moi. The state, it is me, meaning the king alone ruled.

• noreen
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Good discussion, just what I was searching for.

• 6 years ago

negara adalah saya

• Cyprian5 years agoReport

it means that he and the state are one and the same. it means that he is the totem or personification of the state.it is an absolute statement made by someone in a position of sole authority

• 5 years ago

it means that he and the state are one and the same. it means that he is the totem or personification of the state

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.