promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
? asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 9 years ago

What is the origin of the phrase 'Onward through the fog!' ?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

there is a song of that title by The Jimmy Swift Band. there's also a Lectionary by someone named E Morris-Pierce. same title.

* Oat Willie’s is a headshop at West 29th Street and Guadalupe that was founded by Norman “Doug” Brown in 1968. The name “Oat Willie” is from an Austin-based comic character. The famous Oat Willie’s motto (on numerous bumper stickers since the 1970s) is: “Onward Thru the Fog.”

hope these help.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

Onward Through The Fog

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is the origin of the phrase 'Onward through the fog!' ?

Source(s): origin phrase 39 onward fog 39: https://tr.im/QJX0D
  • 5 years ago

I was called Wally Stopher when I made up the saying, "Onward: through the fog."

Joe Brown, co-creator with Gilbert Shelton of the Furry Freak Brothers comics and other Rip-Off Press comics, persuaded me in 1967 or '68 to pose as Oat Willie, so Joe could use the photos to run an underground campaign for Governor of Texas against Preston Smith, who of course won. I took to the idea of some sort of connection to the beloved cartoon character Oat Willie, leading me to make up the saying, "Onward: through the fog." Search Google Books: Joe Brown, Gilbert Shelton, Oat Willie, or my own name in those days to find the Dec. 1987 article I wrote.

The saying received wide distribution due to Jim Franklin's dropping by one day to show me the ad he was doing for Oat Willie's Campaign Headquarters of Oat Willie in his oat bucket and Gilbert's saying, "One vote, one oat." I told Jim, "Have him say, 'Onward: through the fog." Jim caught the cosmic import of those few words and erased Gilbert's saying and inked in mine, adding some fog to this drawing.

He brought the ad to the new owner of Oat Willie's Campaign Headquarters, Doug Brown, who, also realizing the cosmic import and good will for his business, put my saying on matchbooks and boxes, bumper stickers, succeeding ads, and so on.

I take full and rightful credit for making up "Onward: through the fog," and am grateful to Doug Brown for making it widely available.

Yours truly, the musician and writer formerly known as Wally Stopher, now going by my original given names Henry Wallace III (on FB)

• drolkrad3 years agoReport

There you go,the real answer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/E6j8h

And taking my time.

• 5 years ago

Protenus per nebulum.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.