Do you remember your first lesson?

How'd it go for you? Any tips for my first lesson?

:]

Best Answer

My first lesson... let's see... I was nine years old. It's kinda funny, because I only rode at that barn for about 2 months, and then we stopped because the school horse we were riding got sick and the other horses had too many students already. I never saw or heard of that barn again, until recently, when I interned with my barn owner, who happens to do some part-time training at this other barn. Now I go there all the time to take care of some peoples' horses while they are away, or to help out my barn owner.

Anyway... I remember meeting my instructor for the first time. I'd loved horses for years, but I'd only ridden a few times. Still, I read the Pony Pals books and watched the Saddle Club, and I make-believe had a horse of my own, so in my head, I was an expert. My instructor introduced herself, and asked me, "So, are you an experienced rider?" I gave her a very firm, "Yes." My mom, who was standing behind me, was shaking her head violently so that I couldn't see... :P

I rode a little grey pony named Blue. I rode her bareback on a lunge line, so that I could start learning to develop my seat. I think we just walked that day. I can't remember much else at all from that lesson.

I also found out recently that my barn owner's really good friend owned Blue, but that the pony had passed away only a few months after I'd stopped riding there. (she was the one who got sick so we stopped riding.)

Now, I have actually begun assistant-teaching first-ever riding lessons for some students. I love it :) We always start out by finding an appropriate helmet that fits before going out to catch the school horse. The student learns to do it all; halter and lead the horse, take the blanket off, groom the horse, and put all the tack on. The instructor always does the bridling for the first few lessons, because it's tricky and we don't want the school horses to become difficult to bridle from inexperienced students banging their teeth with the bit or something, but eventually the student does everything.

Then the student leads the horse down to the arena and we adjust the stirrups and tighten the girth. Once the student is mounted up, the first thing we teach is how to stop, go, and steer. Then we do some simple, basic exercises to practice this like stopping at each of the letters, and circling in all the corners. Sometimes, we just practice this for the whole lesson, or if the student gets the hang of it quickly, we'll get out some props like cones, and weave through them. The important thing is that the instructor adapts the lesson to the students' abilities and needs.

Then we cool out, (walk the horse around on a loose rein to let them catch their breath) and take them back up to the cross-ties. Then we unsaddle, brush them off, put on the blanket, and take them home. All students are expected to catch, groom, and saddle the school horses themselves every lesson. This is of course supervised for the first few months, but once the student has got the hang of it reliably, they can just meet the instructor down in the arena. We think it's important to have these skills, instead of just showing up and having the horse all ready for you.

Tips for your first lesson:

- Don't be afraid to ask questions! You are there to learn.

- Listen carefully to the instructor. If they tell you to do something, it's for a reason.

- Give everything a try, even if it seems difficult.

- Please, don't be one of those obnoxious students who complains when something is too hard or says "I can't..." That student is every instructor's nightmare.

My mom just took her very first riding lesson from me and my sister, so here's her advice:

- Make sure you trust your instructors. They know what they're doing.

- Don't let the horse be pushy; ask your instructor what to do when he does that.

- Remember to breathe! (she was very nervous)

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Mine went really bad actually. I was 15.. yeah I know I started really late, and I was in a class with at least a level 2 going or level 3 english rider. It was really my first time on a horse. I was annoying to the other girl, and they really put me in the wrong class. The instructor I had was also really mean and snarky so it really wasn't the best first lesson. It turned out well in the end though! Been riding for almost 3 years now, you'll love it once you get used to it.

Oh! I will never forget my first lesson. It went really well, my instructor put me on Cy, a large (rather slow/lazy) paint horse. He was so kind to me, I had no clue about anything really, and he packed me around the arena without a problem. We only walked and trotted, but it went really well for a first lesson. I learned so many things that day- and I'll be grateful to Cy for being so kind to me when I really was just sitting on him.

As far as tips just listen to instructor, he/she will guide you through what you need to know. The best advice I can give as well is to relax. Both on the horse and off, likely you'll have a horse like my Cy, who is calm and very safe to learn on.

Have fun!

yes. I do remember. It was amazing. The best choice i made in my life. You will love it. I pretty much just learned to groom, tack up, mount, dismount, ask them to walk on, stop, turn, the proper equitation, etc, and walking around a bit with my instructor leading me. At the very end. I walked around a bit by myself.

You will love horses.

Tips:

Just listen and do what your instructor tells you to do. No sudden movements. Be careful, but don't be nervous as they can sense that. Relax. HAVE FUN!!!

the moment your on the horse, you just fall in love.

I rode Tango... I guess he wasn't the best beginner horse, actually he bucks a lot, but thats just him. Some days he is perfect, the other days, he is so... well.... misbehaving. Like during summer, he bucked off his quarterboarder because he was having a bad day and he got annoyed when she asked him to canter

i was about 6 for my first lesson so not really. a tip is dont be afraid ik i use to be at the begining once i got on id get all stiff cuz everyone use to tell me all bad things about horses but once you start riding you losen up. usually after 6 lessons or so i began to want to get on every horse who was saddled or unsaddled any size i was crazy about horses, once you get on you can never get off you just fall in love. Id say dont worry everything will be fine trust your trainer you wont fall! bring a helmate and some good boots and jeans. depending on english or western id say wear some chaps for english to help you stay on better if its your first time. Though ive never used chaps or high boots in my life and ive ridden just fine! After a while if your really going to keep up the lessons id invest in a good helmate, pants, boots and may seem silly but thick socks!!! and some gloves. good luck!

My trainer had me post for half an hour, and then he had me walk some circles on the lunge line. I rode the n00b lesson horse. He was little, he was old, he was slow...he was great.

That's all I remember. It was a really long time ago.

• Ron Sr

I am now 65 years old and have been riding for over 55 years and have never had a lesson.

i don't remember my first lesson, as i was only 5 when i had my first lesson, so tips: listen to your instructor, heels down, keep your head up and level with your shoulders, try not to get stepped on, or kicked, hope this helps ♥

Yes I do my first lesson was in bareback and it went great, I learned how to tack up, how to lead the horse out to line up at our barn to wait for the instructor, then I learned to mount and then I learned how to askthe horse to walk and then we learned patterns and then I learned towards the end how to make the horse trot. But what you will do depends on the place you take it and if you are learning bareback,western,or english.

Have fun! ;)

Well I was on the launch line. My intructor kept on telling me to keep my heels down. I always remember my first experience. I can tell you this, that wasn't my first and last lesson.