Tiffy asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

16 year old making doctor's appointment without parents there?

I am 16 years old and believe that I may have social anxiety disorder. I am SICK and tired of it, the social anxiety that is, and I would like to know if I'm eligible for medication. The thing is, when I told my parents about this, they refused to take me to the doctor because they didn't feel it was necessary. (overly old-fashioned)

Therefore, I'm wondering if I can make my own appointment and drive myself in to see if I have this disorder and possibly be prescribed medication for it, or if I need to have a guardian with to sign any paperwork.

You can make your own appointment because I did it before but you need to take a guardian in order to do the paper work like you Older brother, Sister, Aunt.. Etc etc but they have to be 18 or older.

Well I know for sure u can go in (the check up room) without your parents and u can make your own appointment (my mom always tells me here's the phone make ur own appointment when she's lazy I never do though) checking in I'm not sure but I think you can since I remember my mom would drop my brother off while she parked and m brother would check in so I'm prett sure u can

Source(s): Oh if I remember right my mom would tell me to go check in while she wen to the bathroom and I was pretty young

You're gonna need a guardian

No you have to be 18 in order to go to the doc. w/o your parents.

but you could have an 18years old or older family member take you.

Source(s): Im a mother.
  • MrBong

you dont need a guardian. If secretary says anything diffrent tell her/him your going to kill yourself then and going to jump off a bridge. That'll get'em movin.

I have the same issue and my parents just dont get it and it pisses me off. Did medication work for you?