Can americans not be in British movies?

I have noticed that a lot of british actors star in american movie and tv shows, but they put on an american accent for the show or movie, but you never see an American put on a British accent. also i have heard that you cant even try out for any of the Harry Potter movies unless you are british?

Best Answer

Well, many more films are made in the USA then in Great Britain. It is to a British actors advantage to be able to do an American accent well. More available parts

There are definitely some American actors who have appeared in British films and used Brit accents

Also, there is no denying that Brits seem to be able to do the American accent better then Americans doing British. That's just the way it is

As far as Harry Potter, I have no idea. I kind of like an all Brit cast for it

Harry potter is a british book, all the characters were written as british or from the british isles. I don't think it would have been Harry potter if you had american accents in a british school setting.

I'm assuming there's a general assumption by people in the industry that British actors are better actors than American actors. You may disagree, of course, but it's very often that at least one of the four acting Oscars goes to a Brit. One year, two or three years ago, all four acting Oscars went to foreign actors: H. Bardem, T. Swinton, M. Cottillard, and D. Day-Lewis.

Didn't you see Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins?? Americans can't do British accents.

• ?

I don't think it really matters to be honest.