SW asked in PetsCats · 10 years ago

Cat Color Genetics Help?

Ok. So my cat is pregnant. She is black, her mom was gray tabby and there was a tuxedo and a brown tabby in her litter (dad unknown). The father of this litter is tuxedo. Mom was white with large black spots, with tuxedos and black/white spotted kittens in his litter (dad also unknown)

What colors are possible do you think?

Please don't lecture me about spaying and neutering. I got her as a teenager off craigslist, they said she was fixed and stupid me I took their word for it. My mom has an unneutered teenage male cat, but we didn't even think twice about it because she was "fixed" I called every place (vet and shelter) in a 50 mile radius for an E.spay and got chewed out by every single one about how morally wrong I am for trying to murder the kittens. Trust me, this is the last thing I want but I have already talked to friends who have talked to friends and I have about 8 homes lined up, some who want more then one if possible. I am a pre-vet student and know all about spaying and neutering.

Favorite Answer

Probability can be very large.... Even the dad of the dad could show a genetic phenotype (genetic characteristics that can bee seen). So, you could get : white, Brown, black, Brown n black

or Gray tabby or identical to the mom...

Black seems to be dominant in cats... so, I would say 2 of them will be black

and one or 2 will be either white and black or brown...

(cats will give only 3-5 kittens.... 6 is not so often, but it does happen sometimes....

Big Hugs to the (oncoming) new cute kittens, I hope they will be all of beautiful colors

• .

Black is dominant as is white spotting. Since neither cat is tabby assuming he is the only potential sire of the litter then no tabby kittens as tabby is dominant. No chance of red it always displays colors always display either in the form of red or as calico. Your female carries the gene for dilute (since her mother was blue) so if the male also carries the gene for dilute you may have some dilute color kittens. Since the father of the litter has the white spotting gene statistically about half the litter will display the gene in some form (anywhere form a few white markings to solid white) The other common recessive you may see if both cats happen to carry the gene is the pointing gene (aka the gene that causes Siamese markings) with blue-eyed white being part of that same series. All in all you are most likely to end up with Black and Black and white kittens but could end up with some other colors (ie blue) depending on the recessives the cats carry.

As the Ocimom suggested please have them both altered (assuming the male is yours of course). No need to produce more mixed breed kittens when shelters are full of them.

Ocimom is correct that siblings don't affect the genes of the cat. However I find knowing litermate color helpful on occasion in determining what recessives may be floating around. For example if we know a cat has a pointed litter mate assuming they have the same sire we know there is a 50% chance that cat carries the pointed gene.

• Ocimom

Blacks or Black & White bicolor (tuxedo is incorrect - its BICOLOR) You may get blue or blue/white if both are carrying the dilute gene.

Please spay her when these kittens are 8 weeks old and rehome them at 10-12 weeks.

BTW it doesn' matter what the siblings were - it matters only what the parents/grandparents are. Sibling colors don't carry over to other siblings. You can't have brown tabbies or calicos unless the parents have those colors.

Mom is black (carrying dilute; blue/grey), Dad is black & white (may or may not be carrying dilute depending on the father of this cat) - so you only have black or black/white or the dilute; blue to work with. No other colors are possible unless the female bred with more then the one male.

They will probably all be varying degrees of black and white (some solid or almost solid black, others nearly all white.) Don't rule out brown tabbies, though. Any of the black-based colors are possible. You should not get any orange or calicos, unless there is another "mystery man" in your cat's life.