The female of the species?

Given that men are generally thought to be more self-oriented, more aggressive and more competitive, and that women are reckoned to be more supportive, more caring and more other-oriented - how come young girls can be so cruel to each other with bullying, exclusion, catty remarks, etc, etc? Was Kipling actually... show more Given that men are generally thought to be more self-oriented, more aggressive and more competitive, and that women are reckoned to be more supportive, more caring and more other-oriented - how come young girls can be so cruel to each other with bullying, exclusion, catty remarks, etc, etc?

Was Kipling actually right when he said, the female of the species is more deadly than the male - at least where youngsters are concerned?
Update: Lightgreen,
He started the poem with bears and cobras but swiftly moved on to women. To be fair, much of it was about mothers defending their young.
Update 2: Tiff,
"How can people be so heartless?"
Update 3: Jenny,
lol
Update 4: Brother Orpheus, As a therapist I have had plenty of occasion to work with the "realities" of imaginary pain. It's a great bonus to know that the opposite is also true. I wish I could write this in italics - if we imagine ourselves in pleasant, enjoyable circumstances, particularly using a specific breathing... show more Brother Orpheus,
As a therapist I have had plenty of occasion to work with the "realities" of imaginary pain. It's a great bonus to know that the opposite is also true. I wish I could write this in italics - if we imagine ourselves in pleasant, enjoyable circumstances, particularly using a specific breathing technique, that has an actual positive effect on the body, both at a cellular and a quantum level.
I'm not talking theory here. This is something I have been very effectively using with patients for years.
To relax, imagine doing some enjoyable activity, (not sex!) and to feel the body's response is a positive, health enhancing activity.
Update 5: Thanks, everyone for your wise and witty answers. Unfortunately I can only choose one BA
Update 6: ((((Just Be))))