Ralph
Ralph asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

Anyone heard of the cyberpunk genre and William Gibson?

What's your favorite novel by Gibson?

Favorite Answer

I *love* William Gibson. He's a fantastic writer. Neuromancer was great, and one of the seminal works of cyberpunk to boot. (Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash is another great one.) Honestly, I'm a huge fan of Pattern Recognition. Love the concept, love the writing, love the characters.

• paulk

technological know-how fiction exchange into around long previously Asimov or Heinlein, in fact Asimov in his autobiography defined interpreting the latest SF magazines as a newborn, as they arrived in his father's candy save. there's a button I actual have seen at SF conventions--"SF fen devour their ineffective"--which seems to sum it up. Few examine the older classics. i'm prepared to guess many SF readers decrease than the age of 20 have examine no Heinlein or Asimov, much less Lester Del Rey, L. Sprague de Camp, or Murray Leinster, to call some favorites. So Gibson, on a similar time as he invented the subgenre of cyberpunk, has moved out of the sector and his books are actually not being reprinted. individually, I actual have a particularly low tolerance for cyberpunk besides. SF has continually had some downbeat thoughts, yet lots of cyberpunk is purely too lots, and it has a tendency to cut back writers, i've got self belief.

I started to read one of two of his books but lost interest.

The only cyberpunk book I ever got all the way through was Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age. It was all right. I thought the ending was kind of weak.

I've always thought it was an interesting genre, stylish anyway. But not really all that much material there to make actual novels out of.

• Jim L

Yeah. Took me two reads to make head or tail of it. Life's too short.