Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 9 years ago

Big Game Rifle | Caliber Suggestions?

I am going to be hunting Bear,Moose,Caribou,Elk and Deer. What do you suggest me look at? I want to be able to get some meat off it.

Best Answer

I am an Alaskan Hunter.

If you were a super duper expert hunter like my hunting buddy - you could do everything with a 338 Win Mag like he does. He uses it on deer to brown bear - but - this guy grew up on a Montana farm with a rifle in his diaper. He does not practice. He does not go to the range. He does not find shooting much fun anymore - and the box of bullets he has with only 16 left - he has taken 4 big game animals with.

Me - I am not burned out on shooting like he is. I have a safe full of guns - kinda like golf clubs - you need the right club for long distance, and the right one to get out of the sand trap.

Deer and caribou are not very resilient animals - once hit in a wide range or places, they will go down. The trick is to give them time to die - don't go running up or scare them into a run after being hit.

Moose, elk, and all bears - you need to hit them hard with a big caliber that is going to damage vital organs and break bones. On bears - you shoot and keep shooting until it stops moving.

Deer and caribou - any rifle with 243 Win or 308 Win like power works fine. If you are hunting out west or in big open spaces - you should upgrade to something flatter like a 7mm mag or 300 Win mag.

Moose and elk - you would be foolish to engage one with anything less than a 30-06.

Black bear - especially medium ones - are also not very resiliant. I have friends who hunt them with single shot pistols - usually 30-30 or 309.

Brown Bear...... you can use a 30-06 or 300Win Mag as brown bear protecton - but - if you are gonna actually hunt one and sneak up on them (you need to look them over before shooting - even a good taxidermist can't fix a big rub area) you would be an idiot to have anything less than a 338 Win Mag.

They do not make one rifle that does it all. If they did - my wife would have bought me one and sold all the rest.

You cannot beat a bolt action 223 rifle for cheap long distance practice! I have taken 8-10 deer so far with this caliber and gotten one shot clean kills.

The 243 Win is more powerful than the 223 and is a good choice for a deer and caribou gun. Since you will always find wolves, coyotes and fox in places with caribou - the 243 is small enough to drop them and not tear the hide up too bad at all. It's especially good at long distance shots.

You need a light caliber rifle like a 223 to learn to be a good shot. If you practice on a bigger caliber you will eiether develope bad habbits, go broke, and not learn to judge how wind effects your bullets. You learn more shooting a small handicap caliber like 223 than with a flat shooting 7mm mag.

.338 Win mag. Everyone may want to do a little research on this caliber. It has been used on everything in North America and Africa along with the .300 H&H mag, .300 Wtby mag and .375 H&H. It can be loaded down to 30/06 spec's with a 160 grn bullet to a Elephant sized 275-300 grn bonded BitterRoot and Barnes solid where sub .40 calibers are legal to use. It is the most versatile game rd in the shooting world as is most magnum style .338's are. They are also beginning to take over the sniper .308 and .300 Win mag builds.

Source(s): With a heavy for caliber bullet they aren't as destructive as any other high velocity centerfire caliber. Owner of a 8mm Rem mag and the .340 Wtby mag and I would trust either on anything that walks or crawls this planet.

If the bears you are talking about are black in color then you can get by with a 06, 308 or 7mm mag those would be a good starting point. After that the new 338 federal or a 35 whelen would work well. Anything with more pop is going to be way overboard on deer.

.577, .600 or .700 Nitro Express by Holland & Holland. These are the original elephant guns. Double riffles and not double barell shot guns. The .700 has a 1000 grain round and the .600 a 900 grain. These guns are Cannons, and way as much. About 15lbs. Hand made to user specifications by the worlds best gun smiths. These weppons can take up to a year to make and cost any where from 50 - 100k.

Worth every penny if you can afford it! And Since they Are Custom made im sure you could have a scope attachment put on it. But why would you really. These are so bad *** as they are.

You didn't mention if by Bear you meant Alaskan Brown / Grizzly Bear's. Lets say that is the type of Bear you will be hunting.

In that case and considering the other game on your list, I'd recommend at least the .300 Win Mag or the .338 Win Mag.

300 Ultra Mag if you're wanting to shoot bear and moose. There's nothing wrong with 30-06, but 300 UM has better range and trajectory.

* The 30-06 using the 180 or the 220 grain Core Lokt Bullet for Maximum effectiveness.*.*

Source(s): * Run like a Deer.*.....................Fly like an Eagle.*~~

It would be very difficult to find one gun to serve for all of those animals and all of the possible scenarios that you would be hunting in. I would suggest a .30-'06 and lots of practice. With the wide range of factory loads available you could effectively hunt any animal in North America except grizzly bears.

• Robin

500, 375 300

With that diversity of game, your looking at a 30-06. 100%