J proc asked in SportsBaseball · 10 years ago

What is a Met in the New York Mets baseball team?

The New York Mets baseball team, what is a MET?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It's short for Metroploitans. The Metropalitans were actually a team from 1880-1887 who played at the Polo Grounds before Baseball became popular. They weren't really getting much attention and they were a struggling team, The Brooklyn Dodgers bought them as a AA affiliate.

In 1962, to replace the Dodgers and Giants and bring NL Baseball back to NY, William A. Shea decided to make the New York Mets. The term "Mets" is their official team name. It is short for Metropolitans, since they are in a metropolitan area. However, their official team name isn't the New York Metroploitans, even though that's what it stands for.

Get it?

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awmtS

Agreed. I have nothing against the Mets but the Yanks have a richer history & they have a stronger fanbase. Many(but not all) so called Met fans are just jumping the bandwagon all of a sudden claiming they been Met fans forever while not even knowing one player from the team. I respect the real Met fan the one who went to the games when you couldn't even give away their tickets for free.Those fans i give respect to & those real fans I'm happy for their teams recent sucess.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

These services make it feasible to check in on and watch New York Mets vs Washington Nationals from anywhere you might have an web connection.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Short for "Metropolitans", which was a 19th Century New York baseball club.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • rowan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

What Is A Met

• 5 years ago

Metropolitan. I'll get crackin' on a new logo for the team and slap it onto Fine Art America.

• Twins
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Met = Metropolitan. I mean which city is more metropolitan than New York?

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

http://mlb.mlb.com/nym/history/timeline1.jsp

The name is short for Metropolitans. See the attached link, it was selected in 1961, the year before they began play.

They should change the name and the team colors and get rid of the pinstripes.

Source(s): Mets' fan...
  • 5 years ago

A team that is going to be Met with fierce torture from Chicago Cubs!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.