What martial art style is most efficient in a self defense street fight?

Im 15 years old 6''2 and 150 pounds. I want to learn a martial art for self defense in a street fight, What art should i do? I want it to be practical in case someone mugs me, or tries to attack me, I hear Muay Thai is good and i am leaning towards this, Ive also heard about Brazilian Jiutisiu but i hear its inefficient at fighting more than one person. And I know that Taekwondo is terrible in street fights as it is inefficient and high kicks expose the groin. I know that one art is not "better" than another but i want to know which art is most useful in a street fight situation. Also, Krav Maga is not an option because there is no reputable school in my area.

Thanks a ton,

Evan

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Any martial art is good aslong as it promotes that it teaches REAL Self Defense.

Join a gym that has an affiliation to a large organization.

For Self Defense or "Street Fighting", i would NOT suggest systems like Boxing, Kickboxing, Muay Thai, BJJ or Wrestling.

You dont need a ground game or a stand up since most Martial Arts cover both and more.

Taekwondo is actually great for "Street fights". The high kicks are that exposed unless you're a bad fighter and dont know ****. Taekwondo does cover low kicks, knees, clinching, grappling, joint locks, punches and elbows for stand up and ground.

Karate is another that is similar but the sparring is brutal and conditioning is tough as hell but the finish well help you fight well.

Kung Fu of some styles. An old friend who trained in Kung Fu since he was 12 is really good and powerful for his size. About 6'2" 160lbs, can knock a 350lbs kickboxer off his feet in sparring and knocked out this bully who was a boxer in school without being touched.

Visit the gyms in your area and see if you like the training. If costs are over 100 a month then dont join them.

Make sure that they do teach Self Defense and not just sport training.

Tip: How many people actually throw a kick in a real fight?....keep that in mind when they teach to use the Kick Check.

Source(s): 15 years self defense training. 3 years Sports training.
    • Ameer5 years agoReport

Every art you named to not use for street fighting are actually great arts to use to protect yourself on the streets lol...are you purposefully trying to steer someone wrong? Muay thai is probably some of the best street defense. I would know because I had to use it against 3 guys and I won!

• Login to reply the answers
  • Lycann
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

Any martial art should be efficient, if it isn't efficient you're just in a fitness class. Check out the places in your area and try them out. Don't rule anything out based on what people say about a given style, taught correctly any martial art will give you a huge advantage when it comes to defending yourself.

After you've done the leg work compare the schools and arts and decide which is taught the best and has the most skilled students. This could be hard to determine without experience but look for technique (shouldn't be sloppy, weak or require a second try) fitness (students don't have to be ripped, but people shouldn't be sitting around for more than just a quick breather or water break) and the teacher should be able to clearly explain a technique (if they can't, how will you learn?).

Don't be afraid to ask questions when getting trial classes, this is your opportunity to find the best school you can.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

There is no better or best martial art. Trying to compare arts is like comparing painting styles. It has a lot of subjective points, and there's really no way of knowing. However, what we do know is that arts taught poorly, are completely and utterly useless. Thus your main focus should be on finding a good school, not what art is best.

Google a list of schools in your area. From here, compile a list of arts you feel are the most interesting or that you like the most. Once you have this list down, go visit the local schools of the style of your choice. While visiting these schools, make sure the instructor is knowledgable and that the school is not a McDojo. Once you have visited all the schools in your area and you have a good list of schools, decide which school you like the best or which one is cheaper, or closer, etc.

• 9 years ago

I would personally recommend any art that has a good reputation and a reputable teacher in the area. I would highlight in particular for your circumstances boxing, kick boxing, muay thai, wing chun and other styles that have a solid basis in hand to hand stand up fighting. In reality if you are engaged in combat with two or even three assailants, the ground is the last place you want to be. Therefore it is vital that you know how to use your hands. At the same time it is essential that you exploit the benefits of kicking as it provides variation in technique and a larger range than punching. Knees are also excellent in a tight spot. Some styles f Jujitsu and Ninjitsu are good for these but you have to be careful as to what kind you take as some are still heavily traditional and many of their techniques would be ineffective in a situation in our modern society. At the same time a weapon are is also very handy to have as there are always objects in your surroundings that can be used very well to your defence eg. a stick would greatly increase your odds against any number of opponents. But all of this said, you have to enjoy what you learn, so go around, poke your nose into your local dojo's and see what you think you would enjoy. happy training!

Source(s): Black belt Jujitsu and escrima. Personal experience.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

All Martial arts are efficient in self defense. Don't blame the martial art for being bad if you see some students who are poor students with poor technique etc, people make styles look bad, styles don't do it themselves.

All martial arts are good for self defense if you learn correctly under guidance of a qualifed trainer and train hard.

Regards, John

• 9 years ago

There is no other person that can answer such question conveniently, asides from you; you can calculate and analyze things if what's favor you most, what you think you like and love to do that can totally sate and comfort your urge.

We can't assume what's fit for you, besides Martial Arts been develop with same aim and objectives, to defend oneself or others on any physical threat.

Better if go visit some if there is available in your area, observe and ask some important questions related to what you want to know, if they offer some free sessions then grab it and start to do things, then maybe through that way, your proper concern may received positive reply and outcome.

Good luck

Source(s): Senses
  • Jim R
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

When you decide to begin training in martial art you have some questions you have to answer for yourself. Are you looking for a sport to play, an art to dedicate a lifetime to, or a quick fix method of self defence? Some combination of that perhaps? Most of us are, or were all three at times. Where do your priorities lie? You must first decide martial art , or fighting sport. The two are worlds apart, although they overlap in several areas, their mindset, and intent are opposite. You have to know also what is available to you. If you have Uechi-Ryu, and Bak Mei in your area, wanting to do TKD would not help you. Of the available options you must decide which one(s) interest you. Then you have to decide (take your time, it's important) which available instruction is the one for you. You can change or quit if you don't like it, but better to stay with the program right through (providing the program is a good one) for the best training. Style-hopping has in my experience cost many a martial artist their potential, so choose wisely, nobody here can tell you what to do for you. So do your homework well. Talk to instructors and students, watch classes, take 'free introductory' classes, make your decision. One more thing, good luck

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

For one on one fighting, a mix of muay thai and BJJ should be fine.

But note: Realistically, no martial art is equipped to deal with multiple assailants. If you're talking about 2-1 odds, maybe possible to survive. If 3-1 odds or more, your chances of "winning" are close to zero.

Then there is the problem with armed assailants. Empty hand against weapon would be very difficult, unless you are yourself armed, or extremely lucky.

Still, doing martial arts might make your body tougher, and if you are used to sparring, then you may develop a cool head to think more clearly during a really confrontation on the street.

• Judith
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Tae-kwon-do is for self defense only. So if that's what you are looking for than do that. But you really need to pick a good one. Some are just "belt factories" they take u in and Ur money then toss ya out. The good ones make ya work for it.

• 9 years ago

I'm 17, i started taking martial arts at the age of 10, because I was tiny and wanted to get bigger, and etc. I go to a gym where they offer pretty much everything you can take. I started with Karate and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, then years later still while taking karate, I took muay thai and boxing at the same time, to vary the style.

To answer your question, I would take both a stand up and a ground-fighting martial art. For the ground-fight, take Jiu Jitsu, it's your best option and the most effective. But of course if you have 5 or 6 guys on you, and you don't feel like running, or you can't because they're surrounding you, submitting each guy will not work, i don't recommend tryin it, unless you wanna get killed.

For standup, I would recommend basically any martial art. Muay thai is very effective, karate is good (not to fight your guys with a form technique, but to kick them instead). Boxing is ok, but knowing how to kick is VERY important (because of reach).

Now, onto the "exposed groin." Your groin is exposed anyway. Plus, why would you kick him on the head. I'd kick his leg if the opportunity came up. Break his damn knee or tendon. Then when he's down knee him on the chin or something.

Bottom line, Standup AND ground..

hope this helped

Source(s): Close to 8 years of Karate/BJJ/Muay Thai/Boxing
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.