Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

What keeps the earth spinning about its own axis and at the same time revolving around the sun if not god?

Best Answer

The giant hamster at the center of the Earth?

• Strega

Newton's first law: an object in motion tends to stay in motion and an object at rest tends to stay at rest unless acted upon by an oustide force. So once in motion, no driving force is needed to keep the planet spinning and orbiting.

Inertia? I'm not a scientist but this has been explained.

The Laws of Planetary Motion

The creation scientist Johannes Kepler discovered that the planets in our solar system obey three laws of nature. He found that planets orbit in ellipses (not perfect circles as had been previously thought) with the sun at one focus of the ellipse; thus, a given planet is sometimes closer to the sun than at other times. Kepler found that planets sweep out equal areas in equal times — in other words, planets speed up as they get closer to the sun within their orbit. And third, Kepler found the exact mathematical relationship between a planet’s distance from the sun (a) as measured in AUs, and its orbital period (p) as measured in years; planets that are farther from the sun take much longer to orbit than planets that are closer (expressed as p**2 = a**3). Kepler’s laws also apply to the orbits of moons around a given planet. {1}

As with the laws of chemistry, these laws of planetary motion are not fundamental. Rather, they are the logical derivation of other laws of nature. In fact, it was another creation scientist (Sir Isaac Newton) who discovered that Kepler’s laws could be derived mathematically from certain laws of physics — specifically, the laws of gravity and motion (which Newton himself formulated).

The Laws of Physics

The field of physics describes the behavior of the universe at its most fundamental level. There are many different laws of physics. They describe the way in which the universe operates today. There are laws of physics that describe how light propagates, how energy is transported, how gravity operates, how mass moves through space, and many other phenomena. The laws of physics are usually mathematical in nature; some laws of physics can be described with a concise formula such as E=mc**2. The simple formula F=ma shows how an object with mass (m) will accelerate (a) when a net force (F) is applied to it. It is amazing that every object in the universe consistently obeys these rules.

There is a hierarchy in physics: some laws of physics can be derived from other laws of physics. For example, Einstein’s famous formula E=mc**2 can be derived from the principles and equations of special relativity. Conversely, there are many laws of physics that cannot be derived from other laws of physics; many of these are suspected to be derivative principles, but scientists have not yet deduced their derivation.

And some laws of physics may be truly fundamental (not based on other laws); they exist only because God wills them to. In fact, this must be the case for at least one law of physics (and perhaps several) — the most fundamental. (Logically, this is because if the most fundamental law were based on some other law, it would not be the most fundamental law.)

How stupid are you?

You really think god is sitting there and spinning the earth?

GROW UP

Anything that can't be explained must be caused by a god. I heard that once and I believe it with all my spleen.

• thai

I'm a geocentrist. I'll refrain from answering this question

Nothing.

Only God.

it is a higher being in my opinion but people will disagree with me

Source(s): none
  • ?

gravity + angular momentum

• Witch

me