I want to convert to Islam, but my family,friends, and my community is against it, why?

Everyone thinks islam are all full of terrorists and its really not. I went to a mosque and I see the nicest people and how they act and what they taught me and I want to convert to follow a more religious path. But my family wont allow me because they think ill become a "bad kid" wow... Honestly everyday they watch mainstream media and they always here stuff against Islam but its all propaganda but they wont believe me. (by the way my family is christian). My Christian friends and atheist friends think im stupid and are calling me terrorist because I brought up the idea. My really bible nut friends tried preaching me infront of me in public and thinks im possessed by a devil.I gave up converting early and lost hope on my god given freedom of choice.Do I really have no choice to wait until im 18 and move out?

Anyways I just want some ideas/reflection from the yahoo community. And has any of this ever happened to you?

@chris your saying opinion statements not proven facts...

@ emmess I dont know what your talking about. Read my question clearly

Best Answer

Masha'Allah, may Allah (swt) reward you for the effort :D

I was in the same boat. My family left Christianity two decades ago, but now hates all religion sadly. So when I told them I wanted to become Muslim... LOL that was soooooo awkward XD

You will always have people who are ignorant and hateful, and people who are not. Although you should respect your parents, Allah (swt) comes first. I would do what I call a "silent" protest. In that I will be better than I was ever before, but if they tell me to disobey Islam I will not listen. It worked well actually. I stopped doing drugs, I stopped doing illegal things, I got better grades, I stopped disrespecting other people, etc.

After a while they began to see a good change and accepted it :)

Also, it helped that my cousin had also converted to Islam. XD

Get in contact with the local Muslim community. Make Muslim friends, go to Mosque, etc. Also you may want to ask questions relating to Islam in the Ramadhan section. Many more Muslims there, fewer trolls :D

xxxevil...- No shari'ah law does not put murtad (apostates) to death. Only those that would harm the Muslims (which is really for traitors. Not apostates).

You shouldn't have to feel so isolated when it comes to the religion you want to choose. Islam is a religion full of beauty and wisdom, and if it is the spiritual path you choose, don't let anyone tell you not to. As far as your parents go, it's up to you whether you want to go against their will or not. But if you do choose to, suggest that they read some books on Islam. The Qur'an itself would be a good start, depending on how open minded your parents are. Otherwise, there is another great book by Bruce Lawrence called "The Qur'an: Books that Changes the World." Bruce Lawrence is an "Abrahamic Pluralist" which means that he combines Judaism, Christianity, and Islam into one spirituality. He puts Islam into terms that the other two Abrahamic religions can understand, especially Christianity. Another thing you can bring up in conversation with your parents is that as a Muslim, you believe in the same God as they do. Allah is just the Arabic word for God. In fact, Arabic-speaking Christians from the Middle East call God Allah. Christians and Muslims believe in the same God. The disagreement moves in when it comes to the issue of prophets.

Another path you can look into is Sufism, or Mystical Islam. Sufism is a growing religion in America, and it's worth looking into. Here is a website to a Sufi order I visited for a Zikr (Sufi ritual of meditation, enlightenment, and ecstasy): http://www.nurashkijerrahi.org/teachings.htm

There is a huge cache of information here for you to browse through. There is also a map showing all the locations where this particular order meets across the United States.

In all, I encourage you not to give up in what faith you choose. Your parents ultimately can't tell you how to think. They might think they can, but it's up to you to decide what is best for you.

• Tina

I wouldn't say that Satan made me convert, lol. I don't believe in god, therefore I don't believe in Satan either. I didn't really 'convert' to anything. I just came to a decision that the idea of a god, such as the one in the monotheistic religions, is not working for me. If there is a god, I don't think he would send people to 'Hell'. That's the stupidest concept to me. That in itself could have been enough for my mind to stop believing in him. There are many more other reasons to list here. Life now is not better, but not worse. At least I have no guilt over everything, and no fear of some mean god who puts people in hell. Religion is there for those who need guidance. I know how to be moral without an invisible man threatening me to do so with fire. added: Don't try and say I don't know the religion. I was raised with sunday school, and have my short suras memorized. I did read the whole Quran in English (which is brilliant and I respect it), and studied other religions as well. It's nothing against Islam. It's against the idea of god in general I don't agree with.

What you can do is learn more about Islam especially about the controversial things that most people attack, so that when they call you immature names like "terrorist" ask them to rationally critics the religion without the name-calling, and when they do, you'd already have the answers to defend your brave choice.

If there are questions about Islam and its teachings on your mind then I'll be happy to answer them.

I agree that the media plays such a huge part in making people believe in almost anything:

http://vigilantcitizen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010...

• roar!

I don't understand people who try to stop their children from converting to a different religion. They obviously can't control your beliefs. I say if you want to convert to Islam, and if you believe that God is communicating to you through Islam, go for it. Islam is not for me. I'm a Christian. But Islam must be doing something for you and hopefully your family will someday understand.

Peace.

You want to convert just because the Muslims you've met are the "nicest people"? Before you convert, you should read their holy books to know what you are getting into. You need to read:

1. The Qur'an

2. The Hadiths

3. Umdat al-Salik (Reliance of the Traveller manul of Shariah law)

I'm not going to say anything bad about Islam, but I will say that before you convert, make sure you are well read and know the faith (as anyone should do before converting to ANY faith). There are SOO many Muslims (and Christians, etc.) who have never even read their holy books.

I'm sure you can convert now, you'll just need to keep it from your parents. Heck, I've been an Athiest for over 20 years, but I've never told my parents as I don't want to hurt them. I know my mom would be so hurt and sad, thinking that I'm going to hell for not believing in her god (they are baptist), so I never told her I don't belief in order to save her from the grief.

Also, Islam Q&A is a very well respected website where you can learn about Islam. They have a search function, so if there is any issue you want to know about (like, what foods are forbidden, how to pray, cleansing rituals, etc.), you can type it in and search for it. If you don't find an answer, you can email them and they will email you back. Just remember, although you probably won't have to deal with it living in a Western country, if you decide to leave Islam after you convert, Sharia law requires you to be put to death. But, that won't be a problem as long as you are living in a country that doesn't have Sharia law.

http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/20327

If you feel in your heart that Islam is the right religion for you then go for it. Who is to say which is the right one to believe in so follow your heart.

Source(s): personal beliefs

That is really unfortunate.

Muslims are really good people, and Islam is the Truth.

You only have 3 options:

1. You should sit down with your parents, and tell them to accept you and your decisions.

2. Take Shahada at the mosque and convert secretly.

3. Wait until you're old enough and move out then convert.

I hope Allah makes this affair easy for you, Inshallah.

Beware from bad friends

(25:28) O, woe to me ! Would that I had not chosen so and so for a friend!

"(25:44) Do you think that most of them listen or understand ? They are only like the cattle; nay, they are worse astray in Path."

"(6:36) Only they who listen can respond to the call of the Truth(will accept); as for the dead, Allah will raise them and then to Him they will be returned."

"Allah lays abomination on those who do not use their understanding." (10:100)

"(7:179) And certainly We have created for Hell many of the jinn and mankind; they have hearts with which they fail to understand; and they have eyes with which they fail to see; and they have ears with which they fail to hear. They are like cattle - indeed, even more astray. Such are utterly heedless."

(6:116) If you obey the majority of those who live on earth, they will lead you away from Allah's path. They only follow idle fancies, indulging in conjecture.

One need not follow the way of life of the majority, for the majority tend to follow their conjectures and fancies rather than sound knowledge. Their beliefs, their ideas and concepts, their philosophies of life, the guiding principles of their conduct, their laws - all these are founded on conjecture. On the contrary, the way of life which pleases God, was revealed by Him and hence is based on true knowledge rather than conjecture. Instead of trying to discover the way of life of the majority, a seeker after truth should, therefore, persevere in the way prescribed by God, even if he finds himself to be a solitary traveler.

• Moona

well i think you can convert but without telling your family or friends till you know more about Islam and to be sure that you are convinced in it so you can show them the positive side of Islam, pray to God to help you out and make you take the right decision