What does jiji mean in Japanese?

My father and his siblings called their dad that and one of my Japanese teachers said it was a derogatory way to say old man. None of the kids spoke Japanese but I know my grandfather did but since his parents were the ones who left Japan maybe he didn't know it was derogatory? Or maybe it means something else-I'm just not sure but it bugs me.

Favorite Answer

elderly, male. or a grandfather. and as far as the derogatory connentation, it depends on how its said. i can call my dad old man and he'll hear 'dad' but if i yell at him "listen here old man" he will take offense to the adjectives.

and it's disrespectful to call an elder jiji in japan. that's a whole new book though. it's a cultural thing, based solely on respect.

Source(s): japanese.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What does jiji mean in Japanese?

My father and his siblings called their dad that and one of my Japanese teachers said it was a derogatory way to say old man. None of the kids spoke Japanese but I know my grandfather did but since his parents were the ones who left Japan maybe he didn't know it was derogatory? Or maybe it...

Source(s): jiji japanese: https://biturl.im/ugmVk

jiiji is a intimate way of calling a grand father.

jijii is a very rude way of calling an old man.

baaba is a intimate way of calling a grandmother.

babaa is a very rude way of calling an old woman.

smily face