why is the military considering changing from the beretta 92fs to the glock 45 acp?

• Mark F
    Favorite Answer

They are not considering any such thing.

There will be a competition for a joint purchase by the U.S. Army and USAF of a new service pistol later this year to replace the aging inventory of M9's but that competition has not been held yet so there is no way to say which weapon performed best against the requirement and might be chosen. I don't believe they are even at the point of accepting bids.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_Handgun_Syste...

They definitely are NOT considering that. There is not even a pistol competition going on right now. We do not just change weapons. There is a huge trial and error selection process, with multiple entries and bids. The likelihood of the US going away from a NATO standard round is about zero. I don't know where you got your information but it is dead wrong. Not to mention the fact that we went to the M9 because of its multiple safeties, and its a requirement that all US weapons have some sort of safety and the Glock has NO safeties would mean that it would not even be in the running should we decide to look for a replacement for the M9.

Source(s): US Army Scout Military Armorer Short Range Marksmanship Instructor

Not going to happen. Not in the next twenty years anyway. There was talk a number of years ago of getting rid of the M16/M4 and going back to the M1/M14 or a Thompson type auto rifle (.45 APC) but that never got off the ground. I carried a M1911 and bought one after leaving the Army. 9 mil's are great for killing cans and paper targets but if you want stopping power, use the .45.

If you've ever shot a hyped up (aka hopped up) bad guy with a 92FS and had him shrug it off you'd know why. It's the same reason they went to the colt .45 acp in WWII to begin with; to put the drugged up and tightly wrapped japanese down when you shoot them. The 92fs is also kinda hard to handle with one hand for the guys with less then average size hands.

Source(s): Former U.S. Marine trigger puller who spent 13 months in Iraq in 2004-2005 (2nd of the 7th, 1st Mar. div., attached to I Marine Expeditionary Force)

Where did you here this? They would not go away from the 9mm because it's NATO standard. But, I do hope they switch to the glock for their primary. It's lighter and generally more reliable then the berretta. And i just overall prefer it.

Source(s): Myself

Says who?

There are no plans I've heard of. Makes no sense for several reasons.

I was unaware of this. Could you link us an article?

But, if true, it's probably because it's cheaper and more reliable.

Equipment is built by the lowest bidder.