john
john asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 10 years ago

Carrier HVAC prob with Honeywell thermostat?

I have a Carrier model FX4BNF030 and Honeywell RTH6350/6450 series programmable thermostat.

I can get the tstat to program and heat up the house, but it won't cool. It puts out heat when i select cool.

this is my original wiring when it was connected to the carrier tstat:

ORANGE - O/W2

RED - R

YELLOW - Y/Y2

GREEN - G

BLUE - C

WHITE - W/W1

My current wiring to the new honeywell is:

ORANGE - W2

GREEN - G

WHITE - W

YELLOW - Y

RED - R (JUMPERED TO RC)

BLUE - NOT CONNECTED

From what I interpreted from the installation guide, I understand that I am not to use the blue wire, so I didn't connect it.

I don't understand what type of system I have. I had an original problem months ago that turned out to have a 'shorted wire to ground' in the outside compressor unit. The tech that came told me that the tstat unit i was using ( a different honeywell tstat ) wouldn't work because i needed one that works for heat pumps, so i bought this unit, the one i'm having problems with. the tech connected the original carrier tstat back up and my head finally came on. i took that honeywell non heat pump tstat back to Lowe's and bought another honeywell that was designed for heatpump. while it worked for heat during the winter time, now i have no cooling, living in florida.

PLEASE HELP.

outside unit: PURON 38EYG024300

there is one long wire connection point board the top side is labeled conventional and the bottom is labeled heat pump.

conventional---------heat pump

blank-------------------------L

y2-----------------------------E

w2---------------------------aux

g--------------------------------g

w ---------------------------O/B

notused--------------notused

y-------------------------------y

r--------------------------------r

rc------------------------------rc

(R&RC jumpered)

the white wire is connected to w which is the same connection point as O/B

if i move the orange wire to where the white is, do i remove the white or leave it and short the orange and white wire together? What about the blue wire which is currently non-connected?

• Jingo
    Favorite Answer

Oh ok, Using the labels on the bottom, Connect the orange wire to O/B. This provides power to the changeover valve. The changeover valve is what actually switches the unit from heat to cool.

The white wire should be on AUX.

Function 1 should be 5.

And actually Function 2 could be either 0 or 1 but I think 0 is correct for your unit. If this is reversed it will heat when it should cool and cool when it should heat.

The blue wire was a 24v common for power to the stat. Some thermostats will have a C terminal for that, some don't. Yours doesn't so cap it off, tape it off, cover it in a way that it won't touch anything.

Just for reference:

Y is the compressor. This will be on in heat and cool mode.

G is fan

Rc and Rh are 24 volt and should be jumpered as you have it.

• plyler

Carrier Thermostat Wiring