Bugsy asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 9 years ago

Was Douglas a girls name in Tudor England?

I have been reading alot of Phillipa Gregory latey and I came across a baby girl of 3 years old called Douglas. I know that Phillipa works from fact so if Douglas wasn't used for girls in the Tudor period she would not have used it but I can't find any info on Douglas being used as a girls name in that time period.

Any help/info....gratefully recieved.

Bx

Just for info: I mean as a Christian Name/Given Name not a Surname

She is very sure about her information and the child was a living person not a fictional character but I'd just like some more info.

Right, she is the youngest daughter of William Howard, the Duke of Norfolk's younger brother (Thomas Howard) by his wife Margaret (known as Peggy). They had a manor and estate in Reigate in Surrey in the years of Henry Vlll's marriage to Catherine (Cat) Parr.

• Lomax
    Favorite Answer

I'm not aware of it being used as a Christian name for either sex in that period. Certainly not in England. In Scotland it was a family name/title - as in the Earl of Douglas.