MTK asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 9 years ago

Free Antivirus programs? Microsoft Security Essentials vs Avast 6 vs AVG ?

What free anti virus/security program do you prefer and why? Should I install anything in addition to Microsoft S E? for protection on Windows Vista?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

If you want free then I recommend Avast , superantispyware and Malwarebytes. coupled with Comodo firewall They are all free for personal use . It is safe to use two anti-spy products but never use more than one A/V as it can cause conflicts. You should run A/V and anti spy weekly.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

My vote is towards a mix. For your main antivirus use Avast Home. The on access scanner on Avast rocks. I've also used some software in conjunction with Avast called Combo Fix. If there's a pretty serious infection on your computer I'd run Combo Fix first then do a boot scan with Avast. This has usually been able to clear up almost anything from my experience.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

I ha/ve Windows 7 Home Premium and MSE has been great, simple and reliable. AVG was a nightmare. Avast is not bad but as mentioned by another on here, who needs the pressure of upgrading and paying when I get good protection for free?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

AVG and AVAST are targeted by hackers on purpose as they are "Free" and most Popular. However your best bet is to go with MSE.

Dont forget though, AV software is useless if you don't use Windows Updates and make sure you update that Java/Flash Player because that's a popular way of getting infected by rogue software. The "stealth" way!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Avast free antivirus. Completely free, small, lightweight and detects almost every kind of virus. Also allows a boot-time scan to delete thos nasty virus that do not want to be deleted.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

There is a website on internet which shows the comparision between antiviruses.And which antivirus is most suitable for ur computer according to ur computer configuration.

I don't remember exactly the name of website but u should go to the google home page then type in search query "unlimited links and tricks" then open the 3rd no. website.

• 9 years ago

I like MSE. It's lightweight, simple, and it'll never nag me to by the premium version.

I suggest having a copy of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. Just in case you need it.

• Mike S
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Here is a comparison of all three....

http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test...

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

MSE

• 9 years ago

MSE is best best . . . . . . . . . . . . . & best

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.