Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

why isn't the members of Westboro Baptist Church charged with child endangerment?

It would get retard their message.

aren't , why aren't or are not.

• Demi
    Favorite Answer

That sort of thing is not considered child endangerment or even illegal behavior in the USA. I split my time between California and my home country (I'm Scandinavian) and can assure you they would have been arrested under our hate speech laws back home a long time ago. We've done it before and we'll do it again if necessary. However, in the USA their version of free speech means you can be an absolutely horrible human being and it's all perfectly legal. You can imply or openly state that someone you don't like should be killed just because of who or what they are and even the occasional politician will do such things - and still get elected or are openly admired by their supporters in spite of, or maybe even because of, their violent rhetoric. The Americans in general, though certainly not all, tend to value being able to say whatever they wish, whenever they wish, with very few limitations (they cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theatre, for instance) far more than they value good manners, a peaceful society and common human decency. While most Americans claim to despise Westboro and the Phelps clan, the only real difference between them and any other American fundie crazy person is the other American fundie crazy person is not likely to protest a funeral. Everyone else knows that if they want to be able to continue to say whatever they want, when they want, even if it is hateful, violent or a lie, they must allow others that same right as well. This is also why many hate groups in various European countries maintain websites on USA servers. They are untouchable as it is a USA server where pretty much anything is permissible and not one in say Germany or Sweden or Norway, where such things are not permitted and are actually liable to get them arrested or fined - or both.

Because this is the United States of America, and freedom of religion is guaranteed by the Constitution.

People have the right to be jackasses, if they want to be. We can't abrogate freedom of religion for those who we disagree with.

Why don't they teach civics in schools anymore?

I agree. We need to all join forces to keep this people at bay!

Please add me as a friend on facebook. 'Protest Protesters'

We can find out where they are going to be and let the families of fallen soldiers grieve in peace.

Why aren't they put in prison, that's the real question.

They can burn in hell, and Im an atheist.

I think it's because no one has called the cops on them.

It be called, the first ammendment.

they give all religion a black eye

i like them right where they are...demonstrating the love of their god to the world