Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

Questions about golden dojo loaches.?

Hey guys! Philip here, I own 3 African clawed frogs, They live in a 10 gallon tank at 75 degrees, (with a heater) So I wanted to give them a new friend or two. thought of golden dojo loaches! So I have a few q's

1. do they like having more than one of there own kind with them?

2. what do they eat?

3. How often?

4. can they live with african dwarf frogs?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

1. Yes. A group of 3 minimum, the more the merrier.

2. Good quality flakes or sinking wafers. Frozen blood worms. Snails.

3. How often what? Eat? Once or twice per day.

4. Well which is it? African Clawed Frogs or African Dwarf Frogs? They could technically live with ADFs. No fish should be kept with ACFs. (And, 3 ACFs in a 10 gallon would be severely overstocked.)

HOWEVER...

These fish grow to be 8-10 inches long on average. (They can grow to be a foot.) They have no business in a 10 gallon aquarium. At bare minimum I'd say 30 gallons, though 55+ would be best.

They also need some special considerations in their aquarium setup such as fine or soft substrate, as they will dig and bury themselves in the substrate, and gravel and other large/sharp/hard substrates can easily injure their delicate barbels.

If you want to keep these fish, you'll need to invest in an appropriately sized aquarium for them.

FYI, good profile:

http://www.loaches.com/species-index/weather-loach...

Source(s): Experience.
  • 3 years ago

Golden Dojo Loach

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Questions about golden dojo loaches.?

Hey guys! Philip here, I own 3 African clawed frogs, They live in a 10 gallon tank at 75 degrees, (with a heater) So I wanted to give them a new friend or two. thought of golden dojo loaches! So I have a few q's

1. do they like having more than one of there own kind with them?

2. what do they...

Source(s): questions golden dojo loaches: https://biturl.im/njey2
  • 9 years ago

1. All loaches that I have ever heard of are schoaling fish. They need to be with others of their own species. Dojo loaches could be ok in a minimum size group of 4

2. They eat flakes, blood worms, brine shrimp, fresh or blanched veggies, sinking omnivore wafers, sinking omnivore pellets.

3. If it is a flake food or somthing like bloodworms or shrimp feed fish what they can finish in 3 minutes once a day. If it is a pellet, tablet wafer, feed them what they can finish in 3-4 hours. If it is a veggie, dont leave it longer than overnight. Loaches a nocternal, it is best to feed them at night. But they are active fish, and will likely get used to an earlier feeding time. Just try to feed them at approxamitly the same time, because they will remember, and be waiting for you.

4. Dojo loaches can grow to 6 inches, although they may still be barely wider then a pencil, that need a bigger tank than 10 gallons. 30 gallons at least. And ADF's would have trouble swimming in a tank that tall. Also, it could be hard to spot feed the ADF's in a tank that tall and loaches are active competative eaters.

You could add 4-5 kuhli loaches instead.

I just noticed you said clawed frogs at the top not dwarf frogs. Loaches can not live with clawed frogs, clawed frogs get huge and will eat them for breakfast. :-{}-

kuhli Loaoches can live with dwarf frogs though. But You need to be sure wich ones you actually have.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, your tank is already overstocked as it is. It's only large enough for one African clawed frog, however larger is always better, because some can grow up to 6". I'd recommend either upgrading or returning two of the frogs.

http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/frogsandtoads/a/afr...

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile106...

1. Golden dojo loaches can be kept alone, but their activity level increases when kept in groups, so I'd recommend keeping them in pairs or groups of three or more.

2. They usually eat dead scales off of their tankmates, however their normal diet consists of most regular aquarium foods. They're scavengers, so they will eat any uneaten bits of food sitting at the bottom. Bloodworms, mealworms, brine shrimp, wingless flies and insect larva are all good treats.

3. Feed them regular food such as pellets/flakes daily. Treat them to something nice two to three times a week.

4. African clawed frogs shouldn't be kept with fish. Their claws may scratch and injure the loaches, they also may try and eat them. Not a good idea.

Do not add anymore frogs or loaches! Your tank is way too small. Dojo loaches require at least 25g each.

• Gladys
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I honestly don't know, but why does the tank have salt? I worked in a pet store that didn't have a salt water aquarium, but we had tiger barbs, silver dollars, and pictus catfish, and golden dojos. Those aren't salt water fish.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.