What kind of car can i get for $500?

I'm willing to invest money to repair it but i dont want a flat out junker

Favorite Answer

Very few if any.

I was a under $3000 car dealer for many years.

I sold very few cars for under $950 because you simply couldn't buy & sell anything decent for less than that.

The few that I did sell for less had issues. They were often manual transmissions, the AC didn't work, had dents, really faded paint, bad tires, oil leaks & so forth.

When you buy a car for $650-850, the most you can really hope for is to get 4-6 months worth of usage without spending heavily on it.

Generally, you will have more luck buying from a private party because dealers don't want to sell a car without making $400 anyway.

I was a 1-man operation so I would occasionally but more often than not, it was more trouble than it was worth because people who only have $1000 or less often have very unrealistic expectations about what they are going to get.

If I were you, I would LOOK for cars that LOOK really bad but run great.

Unfortunately for that price you can only get a flat out junker. It will be a fixer-uper car. I like modifying though, if you're into that type of thing it would be a nice project.

you'll end up putting more than the initial $500 in to it - if you have money for repairs, then use it and the $500 you have to get something better

• gary w

a broken one. and a headache every day