Should doctors be allowed to assist in patient suicide?

what are your opinions on this.

Thanks!

FYI Physician assisted suicide is legal in Washington, Montana, and Oregon..

Favorite Answer

I'm very religious so my view is skewed. My religion says we aren't allowed to play god so if I HAD to pick I would say drs shouldn't be allowed to. And Dr's currently aren't allowed to.

However, there is a STRONG case for letting Drs do assisted suicide. Think of how many people have terminal illnesses, they are in PAIN every day and it's a sure thing they are going to die in 5months etc. They are miserable, screaming, can't eat, they are deteriorating. For these people how nice would it be to get a little shot and be out of their misery (which will happen anyways if it's terminal) instead of dragging out their death? How would you feel if your mother was going to die in 3 months but for those three months she was screaming every second of the day because she felt so awful. You'll never know unless you're one day in their shoes, but I can see why people are for assisted suicide (if it's a for sure thing they are going to die anyway, and it'll be a long painful death".

What do yo mean "should they be allowed"?!?! They do it every day. They keep people alive in a vegetative state on artificial life-support for days and days (sometimes months), and rack-up as much of a bill as they can squeeze payment out of from the insurance companies, and then they turn the machines off and crank up the morphine. What the f*** is THAT if it isn't "assisted suicide"!?!?!?! Oh, you mean if someone actually wants to kill himself and isn't physically capable of doing it himself, should the doctor help him? I'm sure once the insurance companies find a way of billing their customers for it, under special and controlled $ituation$, of course, it will not only be legal, but AMA recommended.

Let's not pretend any longer that any doctor is operating (no pun intended) in any way according to some professed "morality". If that were the case, they with their hypocratic oaths, would not be turning anyone without insurance away from any hospital or doctor's office as they currently do by the thousands every day in this country.

Absolutely. Someone who is in incurable excruciating pain every day and night should have the right to end it peacefully, in my opinion...

@one of the comments - suicide isn't a show of weakness. That is probably one of the most ignorant statements you can make about something you know nothing about.

• nosdda

Doctors can never assisst in Suicide, because it goes againt the Hippocratic Oath they take to preserve life in any way they can.

• i

Suicide is a show of weakness. Human beings should be up-lifting to each other, not helping the act of self-extermination.

Source(s): Common Sense.