Is it true Soccer (Football, Futbol) is the most popular sport in the world?

Is it true soccer (football, futbol) is the most popular sport in the world?

Is it true the World Cup is the most popular sporting event on the planet?

Is it true soccer (football, futbol) is played by the most, has the most leagues, and is most centrally located to a country in the world?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Tosh
    Lv 6
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

Nate is dreaming if he thinks the super bowl has a bigger world audience than the world cup. If the super bowl kicks off at 6:30 PM ET that's 11:30 PM Sunday night in England, the Farther east into Europe and Asia you go it's early hours Monday morning. Nobody in their right mind would think that people stay up all night to watch an obscure foreign game when they have work in the morning. The super bowl may be televised around the world, but that doesn't mean that people watch it.

Association Football is the most popular sport on the planet and the world cup is the biggest tournament on the planet too.

FIFA has a membership of 208 football associations. How many counrties play American gridiron?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_most_popular...

Nate. Keep dreaming, you yanks are good at BS. Real Football is the #1 sport on the planet, your gridiron is nothing compared to it.

Gridiron = USA.

Football = The World.

Grow up and educate yourself about the real world and don't believe all the BS you watch on American TV.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

The NFL guy is right in some aspects for example your are completely correct when saying that outlining the most popular sport in the world can not be described by the amount of countries that play it because maybe these countries only have a few supporters of say soccer. Though i believe your theory for the most popular sport is completely wrong and very ignorant, the greatest thing about soccer is the fact that anyone can play it all you need is a ball this is the reason why soccer is the most popular not because it may be the most interesting for someone who can watch thousands of sports but because for people in the world who have almost nothing like maybe brazil or africa all you need is a ball to entertain you for hours. This is unlike Gridiron as these people cant afford those giant goals a marked out field and a bunch of padding, only needing a ball is what makes soccer so popular. Even though i went a little off topic this explains why you cant outline the most popular sport by attendance or viewers because a large amount of supporters cant afford to go to games or maybe even own a television. I realize collecting statistics for this is probably impossible but in my opinion any other information will never be completely accurate. Anyways say you consider your views to be correct and you would judge popularity by viewership and attendance then if your statistics are correct the NFL is more popular than any single soccer league maybe even the premier league and la liga combined, but and this is a huge but NFL is only one league for a whole sport and if you were saying what is the most popular league in the world you would be correct. I'm 100% sure that the NFL doesn't get as many viewers and people at their games than la liga, premier league, serie a, ligue 1 and bundesliga combined not even considering other leagues like the Russian, Greek Portuguese, Turkish, Swedish, Holland, Korean, Brazilian, Argentine and Japanese leagues. Now you might say this is because NFL hasn't spread to other countries well that is another aspect that shows how NFL isn't the most popular because even soccer is continuing to spread with it only having established leagues in Australia and Qatar for the past decade and the MLS since 1993. Now to your comment on the fact that NFL teams are worth more that is also correct even though Man United is worth more than all of them but consider my point before all the NFL teams combined are not worth as much as all the teams in the leagues I stated previously combined. Lastly the Superbowl is not watched more than the world cup, only because you are American and finish watching the world cup (even when im sure you don't watch it at all) when your team is knocked out it doesn't mean the rest of the world does, if you ever watched a world cup final you would see there are supporters there not just from the two teams playing but all the teams that participated. A world cup is much like a superbowl (yes i watch that too) people go because its a great event and want to experience it not just because their team is playing. That whole statement is not considering the fact that even the Champions league final (if you know what this is) gets more viewers around the world than the superbowl (its true go check). So yes soccer is the most popular sport in the world and whoever that NFL guy is he should really re-think what he said because it isn't right.

Some Ruff Statistics (http://sporteology.com/top-10-popular-sports-world...

#1 Soccer: 3.3-3.5 billion fans

#7 Table Tennis: 900 million fans

#9 Gridiron: 390-410 million fans

I actually like Gridiron by the way even if they only play for 10 minutes when i watch it for a couple of hours :)

Forza Milan!!!

• 9 years ago

Football is the most popular sport in the world. American Football is not because only the United States plays it. Thus, making the World Cup the most popular sport in the world, not the Super Bowl (as other ignorant Americans think).

Football > American Football

• 9 years ago

Yes it is. Every 4 years there is an international tournament called the World Cup. Hundreds of countries from each corner of the world attempt to qualify. In all countries, besides US, it is the most popular sport. Although it is not the most popular sport in America, it is constantly getting more popular. For example, Nike has the most popular soccer products in the world and it is an American company.

Source(s): I play soccer and watch soccer 7 days a week.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Yes, football is the most popular sport in the world.

Yes, WC is one of the most prestigious sporting event in the world. A WC hosting can build an economy.

Yes, it has the most leagues in the world.

Depends on the country. US has NBA, NFL and NHL. Yet, their MLS is not as popular as EPL, La Liga, Serie A or even Argentinian and Brazilian leagues. They need mega stars like Beckham and Thierry to boost the popularity of it.

• Linda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

I don't know the Japanese and Chinese prefer baseball I believe,no hope in North Anerica But with T20 you never know the whole of South America, Europe and Africa will start hating football for some reason and turn to cricket.Or do they need a Super 8s cricket?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No American Football (NFL) is the most popular sport in the world and I will tell you why.

First of all how do we define "popular"? I define popular by attendance, TV ratings and how lucrative the game is. American football games average about 80,000 fans per game which is more than any average attendance of any Soccer league in the world. The SuperBowl generates 900 million viewers world-wide which is more than any SINGLE game of Soccer anywhere including the world cup final (remember a lot of fans switch off when their team has been eliminated from the cup)

And the NFL has 19 of the 32 teams in the league worth over 1 billion dollars which is more than any Soccer teams (there are only 4 Soccer teams in the world worth over 1 billion dollars; Man U, Liverpool, Chelsea and Real Madrid)

So as you can see the numbers show that American Football is the most popular sport, if you define popular by the number of countries that play Soccer professionally as opposed to American Football then us Soccer wins hands down but popularity should be determined on factual figures and nothing else. All my numbers are correct feel free to do the research yourself

EDIT: @Tosh....dude I already told you popularity is not measured by the amount of countries that play a game....so why are you bringing it up?? It don't matter how many countries play a game because they could divide the US up into a hundred little countries like Europe and American Football would rival Soccer in that argument as well....it's all about attendance and viewer ratings...my point about 900 million viewers world-wide is a statistical fact dude..look it up...I don't know about the UK's sleeping patterns but I know my numbers are correct!!

EDIT: @Tosh...us Yanks could kick your pasty Euro-as'ses at anything we wanted including Soccer if we could be bothered taking an interest in the game. The USA is the world's superpower you knucklehead....don't get jealous about something you can't help!!

• 9 years ago

Its voted by the FIFA as the most played sport around the world.

Source(s): FIFA.com
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes yes and yes. There's nothing like football.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

yeah because america is the only country that likes basketball and football(football)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.