Christian: Would you say that the only difference between you and unbelievers is the grace of God?

powerfully working in your life; but not the lives of others?

So you can say, "There but for the grace of God, go I".

Or would you rather say, "there but for my free-will choice, go I"?

Best Answer

What a precious state of being to just be in, when we KNOW, "There but for the grace of God, go I!?"

The beauty of God, is a Sure Love…. I love this declaration of the heart who knows the beauty of God’s grace for in this state of being, there is a wonderful assurance, that whatever befalls us… God’s grace is for us, holds us up, containing us… giving Us the reassurance of a perfect spiritual home. And this is something only those who love Jesus know! This statement is an acknowledgement of God’s sovereignty for Us. I left some info on who has been thought to be the originator of the phrase, and if it is John Bradford, I must say, he knew the beauty of The Grace of God, intimately. This Chris is a supernatural gift, something no man can lay claim to, unless He knows the Gift of God’s love found in Christ. For in this we acknowledge The Sovereignty of The LORD, above all things. All things are held by Chris! I love this KNOWing, thanks for the opportunity to admit to this.

Here’s some food for thoughts… dictionary meaning of the truth.. “there but for the grace of God, go I”

1. A recognition that others' misfortune could be one's own, if it weren't for the blessing/kindness/luck bestowed by fate or the Divine.

2. Man's fate is in God's hands.

3. More generally, our fate is not entirely in our own hands.

[edit] Usage notes

• This proverb is an expression of humility; in using it, a speaker acknowledges that outside factors (such as God's grace, or his upbringing) have played a role in his success in life.

• The adverbial phrase is often set off with commas: "There, but for the grace of God, go I."

John Bradford (1510–1555) was a prebendary of St. Paul's. He was an English Reformer and martyr best remembered for his utterance "'There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford". The words were uttered by Bradford while imprisoned in the Tower of London, when he saw a criminal on his way to execution.[1] However, the attribution has been questioned [2]

On 31 January 1555 Bradford was tried and condemned to death with all the others, and on 1 July he was brought to Newgate Prison to be burned at the stake. Though scheduled for four o'clock in the morning, the burning was delayed due to the large crowd that had gathered. He was chained to the stake at Smithfield with a young man, John Lease. Before the fire was lit, he begged forgiveness of any he had wronged, and offered forgiveness to those who had wronged him. He subsequently turned to his fellow and said, "Be of good comfort brother; for we shall have a merry supper with the Lord this night!" A century later, in his Worthies of England, Thomas Fuller wrote that he endured the flame "as a fresh gale of wind in a hot summer's day, confirming by his death the truth of that doctrine he had so diligently and powerfully preached during his life."[5] Bradford was buried at the Marian Martyrs' Monument in Smithfield, London.[6] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bradford

God's favor is a precious gift. While we might not have a soft landing on earth, we know we have one with God, eternally because of the work of Christ.

God bless us, as we partake of this.

Thanks for the phrase... it is a good thought, for where would I be without the

Grace of God, indeed, causes one to fill with tears... for this Love came down from the Father for us, and this love is called Jesus Christ, the Word... the Bread of Life, The Way, The Truth, and The LIFE> in HIM is LIFE... really touches me, forgive, my lenght... a stop into worship can't help but happen as we fathom...Him...

Love

Kar

Source(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvcoAF2OnYU Beauty of Grace (song by Krystal Meyers)

Honestly, I would say that the grace of God makes a powerful difference in my life-- such that, often, I do not give into temptation-- though I cannot remove personal responsibility for my actions, either. God works and strives to build a new nature in me; with regards to this part of my spiritual life (though not with regards to my salvation from sin) I must, at the end of the day, cooperate with Him.

Having said that, I still see others in rough circumstances and making bad choices, and still say 'there but for the grace of God go I' -- for two reasons. First of all, I would rather boast in God's strength, than in any feeble cooperation I might muster. It has been His initiation that has made a difference in my life; without that, I would have had no different way to stumblingly try to follow.

Secondly, (and on a far more basic level) any good choices I might make, (avoiding pain, or destructive vice, or illegality, or other such situations, which cause me to say, when I see someone doing them, 'there but for the grace of God go I,') -- any good choices I make, which cause me to do right, or simply not do wrong-- I do because I have been warned. That warning I give thanks to God for, as a gracious action-- even if I act or avoid action as I agree with it.

There also are some situations where I avoid vice simply because the vice in question just isn't my cup of tea. I don't steal partially because I believe it to be wrong, and partially because I get no thrill whatsoever out of taking something that belongs to someone else. In that case, as well, I give thanks to God-- because my tastes, and likes, and dislikes-- all of these are out of my control as well. If I find, fortuitously, that I do not like doing what I know I also should not do, I will credit this also to the gracious hand of God.

The difference between unbelievers and Christians is obedience. Christians obediently , by free-will choice. answer the call that God has given them because of His grace (kindness)

For not being a calvinist you sure write like one. And you are very good I might add.

Gods grace is the difference. But one must open themself up to receive the grace.

I am saved by Grace. My salvation is totally unmerited but a free gift from God. Jesus took all of my sins upon his own shoulders and suffered and died because of my sin. He paid the price for all sin. By his stripes we are healed.

Because of this I have become acceptable and forgiven in the sight of God. A co-heir with Christ to the inheritance of heaven and eternal life. This gift came from Jesus and I am totally undeserving of his forgiveness, yet he had mercy on me a sinner and by the shed blood of Jesus I am foregiven........Praise God and Thank You Jesus

• Darrin

I am just as wretched and vile as the next person and probably more so than most. So it is as you say, by the grace of God am I different.......>

@Blessed..... we all know that Gods general grace falls upon all people. By His very grace we are allowed to take our next breath. However it is by His grace to the individual to change the heart and give them the ability of faith and repentance..........>

Not really, no. Or, maybe. But I don't think so. It's possible that the grace of God is working in the lives of others, but not being believers, they don't see it as such.

Definitely... Most definitely.

I mean look at Judas Iscariot. He was a disciple of Jesus Christ and saw God use his master mightily to destroy the works of the enemy. But he himself used his position for personal gain even to the extent of betraying the Christ for 30 pieces of silver. He could have repented of his sins and forsaken them. But he didn't.

Some might argue that if Judas had God's salvation through Jesus Christ God's word would not have been fulfilled for the historic salvation of all mankind from their sins. But I say there were more than enough enemies of Jesus Christ who knew his habits to betray the Christ had it not been Judas. However the devil knowing the scriptures as well choose the likeliest of clients near to Jesus Christ and who to possess and do his will for that specific time. It was Judas the unrepentant sinner.

You are right. There but for the grace of God, go I.

Take care.

• Samson

Unbelievers have no faith and are not committed

Christians walk by Faith and not by sight.

We all have benefited from Grace, its that many didnt learn anything from it.

Therefore knowing that jesus died for our sins, because of Grace it does not mean that it ends there.

I'd say the rain falls down on everyone but one day it won't ... in other words God is with everyone at the moment, the difference will come one day when he will separate the wheat from the chaff, and then he won't ..