to baptize in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit or in the name Jesus alone?

Oneness pentecostals told me in the name of Jesus and I know for sure many churches believe in that meanwhile others say in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit but I found the book of acts say they were baptized the first christians in the name of Jesus why is that?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Bill C
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

It's because the first century church took the time to understand the command of Jesus, and thus obeyed it. Too many today don't do that, and wind up simply repeating the words of the command, instead of actually doing it.

Jesus did NOT say to baptize in three titles. He said to baptize in one NAME... the NAME of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. There is a huge difference between a person's name and his titles. Were I to sign a check with any of my titles, Brother, Uncle, Son, etc., the bank would not honor it. We are commanded to do everything, word or deed, in the name of Jesus. (Col. 3:17) Why wouldn't that include baptism? And as you pointed out, the apostles always used Jesus' name, and never once used the three titles in baptism. Did they do it wrong? Did they disobey? If they did, then we're all in trouble, because Jesus' didn't leave a written record. We only have the apostles' writings to guide us. Would they be foolish enough to record a command they didn't intend to obey? Of course not. So clearly, they understood that Jesus meant one NAME, and that NAME was His own. (Compare the Great Commission as recorded in Luke 24:47.)

To get more detailed:

Matt. 28:19 in Greek says "baptizing them INTO the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit."

Acts 2:38 in Greek says "be baptized AROUND the name of Jesus."

Acts 8:16 in Greek says "they were baptized INTO the name of Jesus.'

Acts 10:48 in Greek says "he commanded them to be baptized IN the name of the Lord" (some ancient manuscripts say "of the Lord Jesus Christ.")

Note that this word "IN" also means "using," as in the English expression "wash in water." We know it means to wash literally in the water, using the water. So to be baptized IN the name means USING the name.

Acts 19:5 in Greek says "they were baptized INTO the name of the Lord Jesus."

This should put to rest any arguments from some that "in the name of Jesus" only means by the authority of Jesus. It is recorded in every possible way: INTO, AROUND, USING, to show that the one name is meant to be used in baptism. Lest there still be doubt:

Acts 22:16 in Greek says "be baptized and wash away your sins calling the name of the Lord."

So it doesn't come down to obeying the words of Jesus rather than those of the apostles. The apostles did exactly as Jesus commanded: they baptized in the NAME. What it really boils down to is obeying the command of Jesus, as the apostles did, or simply repeating the command without actually doing it. And that's what baptism in the titles is: repetition of the command without obedience to it, because the actual NAME is not used. And it is only that NAME that will save us: Acts 4:12

Source(s): Apostolic minister
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

to baptize in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit or in the name Jesus alone?

Oneness pentecostals told me in the name of Jesus and I know for sure many churches believe in that meanwhile others say in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit but I found the book of acts say they were baptized the first christians in the name of Jesus why is that?

Source(s): baptize father son holy spirit jesus alone: https://biturl.im/YtaQx
  • 6 years ago

What is the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit? Yahweh. The Father is Yahweh and the Son is Yahweh and the Holy Spirit is Yahweh.

Jesus is the anglicized version of the Greek. However, the Name of the Son of God is Yahshua. Yah is the contracted form of Yahweh. In fact this contracted form appears 49 times in the Old Testament.

Yahshua means Yahweh Saves or Yahweh is salvation. Even as it is appropriate and completely accurate to call any of the members of the Godhead Yahweh, so it to call any of Them Yahshua.

Hallelujah means praise Yah or praise Yahweh. We do not say Hallelu JAH but we say Hallelu YAH

• 6 years ago

grnlow answered 3 years ago

See what Jesus instructed just before ascending to heaven at Matthew 28:18-20.

jesus ask us to baptize in the name of the father, the son, the holy spirit..

forget about any doctrine just follow Christ. follow Jesus since you believe him. its true that we have one god.agree.let us just follow what jesus said since we believe in him..

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

You've got to know the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit to be able to baptise people, but few people know the names. They only know the name of Jesus.

As John the Baptist did, these early baptisms were by water; but the baptism of the Holy Spirit only began after the Son of God was crucified and glorified.

Only then did God the Father send His own Spirit to indwell in men and to empower them as the Son had been empowered. This is the baptism of the Holy Spirit, which is also referred to as being born again.

Source(s): The Holy Spirit Revised Authorised Version Bible
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

HERE IS WHAT I DON'T UNDERSTAND!!!!! EVERYONE PROCLAIMS TO LIVE UNDER THE "NEW COVENANT" (GRACE AND TRUTH), HOWEVER; THEY CONTINUE TO BAPTIZE UNDER THE LAW!!!!!!! GAL 4:4 SAYS, "BUT, WHEN THE FULLNESS OF THE TIME WAS COME, GOD SENT FOR HIS SON, MADE OF A WOMAN, MADE UNDER THE LAW," WELL IF JESUS WAS MADE UNDER THE LAW, HE DIED UNDER THE LAW WHICH WAS NOT FULFILLED UNTIL HE ASCENDED INTO HEAVEN (ACTS 1) AND SENT THE COMFORTER AS PROMISED IN JOHN 14. HEBREWS 10:16 SAYS, "THIS IS THE COVENANT THAT I WILL MAKE WITH THEM AFTER THOSE DAYS SAITH THE LORD: I WILL PUT MY LAWS INTO THEIR HEARTS, AND IN THEIR MINDS WILL I WRITE THEM," THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT HE DID BECAUSE AFTER THE DAY OF PENTECOST THE APOSTLES WERE GIVEN THE COMMAND TO BAPTIZE IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS! SO WHY IS THERE CONFUSION? WE MUST "...RIGHTLY DIVIDE THE WORD...!" (II TIMOTHY 2:15).

ONE "MUST" CONSIDER THE TIMEFRAME OR DISPENSATION IN WHICH JESUS' WORDS WERE SPOKEN IN MATT 28:19. IN V 20 HE TOLD US TO "...OBSERVE ALL THINGS WHATSOEVER I HAVE COMMANDED YOU; (THE APOSTLES) AND, LO, I AM WITH YOU ALWAYS, EVEN UNTO THE END OF THE AGE. AMEN.

SO IT IS WRITTEN - SO IT IS TO BE DONE!

Source(s): THE BIBLE KJV
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Without exception the New Testament church baptized by immersion in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Church fathers early in church history changed the formula for baptism from in the Name of Jesus Christ to a triune formula developed by the traditions of men rather than the Word of God.

We Apostolics follow the mode as found in the book of Acts, which most Bible scholars claim is the original manner converts were baptized.

Water baptism was never intended by Jesus to be an introduction to the trinity of Gods theory, nor as a statement there was a trinity of Gods in heaven.

Jesus told the apostles to baptize in "the name" (singular) of the Father, the Son, and the Spirit. And we say there is only one New Testament name of God for water baptism and that is as Peter said it on the day of Pentecost: "IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST!"

Source(s): Apostolic Believer In One God, Jesus
  • 9 years ago

JESUS TAUGHT: "That REPENTANCE and REMISSION of sins should be preached IN HIS NAME beginning at Jerusalem." Luke 24:47

PETER OBEYED: "Repent and be BAPTIZED everyone of you in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins." Acts 2:38

SAMARITANS: "...They were BAPTIZED in the NAME of the LORD JESUS." Acts 8:16

GENTILES WERE COMMANDED: "...He COMMANDED them to be BAPTIZED in the NAME of the Lord." Acts 10:48

PAUL RE-BAPTIZED: "...When they heard this they were BAPTIZED in the NAME of the LORD JESUS." Acts 19:1-5

NO OTHER NAME FOR SALVATION: "...There is NONE OTHER NAME under heaven whereby we MUST BE SAVED." Acts 4:10-12

EVERYTHING DONE IN THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST: "Whatsoever you do in word or in deed, do ALL IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS." Colossians 3:17

The above scriptures are not given to refute Matthew 28:19 where Jesus told apostles to baptize in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. They merely show how the command was interpreted and obeyed by them.

The apostles knew what most religious leaders of today fail to recognize.

First: That JESUS CHRIST IS THE FAMILY NAME. (Ephesians 3:15)

Second: That the FULLNESS of the GODHEAD (Deity or God) dwelleth bodily in Christ. (Colossians 2:9)

They knew the name of the SON was JESUS CHRIST. ( 1 John 3:23)

They knew that the SON came in the FATHER'S NAME. (John 5:43)

They also knew that the HOLY GHOST was the spirit of CHRIST and would come in the NAME OF JESUS CHRIST. (John 14:26)

Source(s): Apostolic Believer In One God, Jesus
  • 9 years ago

Jesus said to Baptize in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. You going to obey Jesus, or men?

• He said Name, not Names! :P

1 Name = Jesus

We pray, cast out demons, heal, in Jesus name, why not Baptize?

• 6 years ago

the trinity is pagan it was put in at the counsel of nicea people study your history in Jesus name is the write name read this verse this even says there one baptism Ephesians 4:5

• grnlow
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

See what Jesus instructed just before ascending to heaven at Matthew 28:18-20.

"And Jesus approached and spoke to them, saying: “All authority has been given me in heaven and on the earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”"

At Acts 19:1-7, we find your question and answer. "19 In the course of events, while A‧pol′los was in Corinth, Paul went through the inland parts and came down to Eph′e‧sus, and found some disciples; 2 and he said to them: “Did you receive holy spirit when YOU became believers?” They said to him: “Why, we have never heard whether there is a holy spirit.” 3 And he said: “In what, then, were YOU baptized?” They said: “In John’s baptism.” 4 Paul said: “John baptized with the baptism [in symbol] of repentance, telling the people to believe in the one coming after him, that is, in Jesus.” 5 On hearing this, they got baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6 And when Paul laid his hands upon them, the holy spirit came upon them, and they began speaking with tongues and prophesying. 7 All together, there were about twelve men."

We see before this at Acts 18:24-26, Apollos was taught about Jesus and other deeper things of the scriptures before he went to Paul. So here we have instruction about Jesus including who he worshiped. We also see in verse 6, that holy spirit was poured out on Apollos. So we have all involved in this baptism. Jehovah God, Jesus and the power of God--holy spirit--given to Apollos.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.