Alysonomnom asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

Is My Cat Going To Be Okay? (traumatic experience)?

We had a small fire in our kitchen while no one was home but the cat and dog.

When we got home the fire had gone out on it's own.

There was ash and smoke residue on every thing...

I found the cat hiding under the couch.

We had to stay somewhere that night and couldn't bring the cat anywhere and he just ran outside anyway. He didn't come back until we came home the next morning.

That day we found a hotel that allowed small pets.

Before we brought him there he was eating and drinking fine.

Then we brought him to the hotel room.

the room isn't too big since we got two and I'm the only person staying in this one.

So my cat is staying with me.

I brought his regular food, his bowl that I cleaned and his favorite treats.

I even bought a new toy for him since all of his were covered in ash.

We've been in the hotel for 2 days and one night.

He hasn't eaten since he got here.

He's peed twice.

He stays under the covers or in one of the corners.

He has looked around a bit but always goes back to hiding.

I pick him up and bring him to his food but he just walks away.

I put treats right in front of him but he doesn't do anything.

He did seem a little happier for few hours but then I had to leave to help my parents and talk with the insurance people which took at least 3 or 4 hours.

When I got back he just stayed in hiding.

I'm not sure what to do.

I can't call the vet at the moment because it's nighttime but I'm afraid to wait until morning.

I'm scared that if I wait too long something bad might happen.

Favorite Answer

Sorry about the fire, Im glad no one was hurt. Obviously he still remembers the fire and he is traumatized. In addition moving him to hotel can be very traumatizing to cat, cats don't like to move they are very territorially. What you can do is talk to the cat with soft tone, they do read your body language, pet him and gve him lot of love and attention. Make sure he has water at all times. In the morning please take him to the vet, he can be suffering from smoke inhalation. Good luck, I hope he gets better and keep us posted.

Just leave dry food out over night. I use to be an animal tech and I am a cat lover too. The good thing is he is urinating which means he might be drinking. Your cat should be fine but I wouldn't have to many people coming and going into the room, such as housekeeping. New places take longer for cats to get use too. Be patient and just watch him closely. I am sure he will come around. Also I would just take the cat to the vet just to make sure smoke didn't affect it. Good luck.

He's in unfamiliar territory, so he's a little scared. It may take him a few more days to get accustomed to the new surroundings.

Just leave his food and water out where he can get to them easily.

Your pet is going though hard times. Pets do get nervous and do not know how to take it very well. They get very distressed and will remember it for the rest of their pet life. whoever the best buddies are needed for them right now.

Source(s): my parents cat observation and been distressed for the last 6 years.

He is probably just scared from been in a new place I'm sure he will be ok.