.
. asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 10 years ago

Chasing Amy or 500 Days Of Summer?

Which movie do you prefer?

• David
    Favorite Answer

Chasing Amy

The characters are more interesting, it's funnier, it's more sophisticated, and it has the balls to have a melancholy ending. The ending of (500) Days... should be shown in screenwriting classes as an example of, "Don't do this." It nearly undermines the entire experience. Good film otherwise, though. Very clever in parts.

(I wish Smith could muster another Chasing Amy. It was a near perfect blend of his ribald, pop-culture-infused humor and sentimentality. Jersey Girl, his official "I am a serious filmmaker" attempt, wasn't nearly as effective or appealing a blend, though I don't hate Jersey Girl as many do.)

Both films pale in comparison to another indie romantic dramedy, Greenberg.

Chasing Amy. 500 Days of Summer was kind of a letdown for me.

500 Days of Summer was really good, but if we're comparing the two, go with Chasing Amy. I know Kevin Smith hasn't been churning out the winners for awhile, but I think this one was back when he was still hungry(har har) and it was really funnier but more heartfelt, too. Back before he was even a household name (along with unknowns Ben Affleck and Jason Lee!). It just had the balls to show a boy meets girl, boy falls for girl, but girl likes girls story.

500 Days of Summer hands down. Not the best ending though.

Source(s): Seen it.

(500) Days of Summer. Easily.

Chasing Amy isn't my favorite Kevin Smith film, while (500) Days... feels like me in the form of a film--from the pop culture references to the soundtrack and actors to the mention of my favorite novel.