Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

Do you admire Elizabeth Taylor, and if so, which of her movies are your favorite?

I'm so sad she passed away, I'm not even old, and I admired her.. she was one of my favorite actresses.

She was great in Little Women.

Favorite Answer

I find it difficult to express what her passing means to me. She was such an amazing woman, combining beauty, talent and a humanitarian spirit not seen very often. The Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award is not given every year, but in 1993, two lovely, caring ladies were honored: Elizabeth Taylor and Audrey Hepburn. No one would argue that they deserved this recognition.

Born in the very early Fifties, I was named for an Elizabeth Taylor movie: "Cynthia". She truly was a constant in my life because she always made the news while making movies and because of her personal life, especially her health problems. I was frequently ill, too, just like Cynthia and, in some ways, like the real-life woman. I was accident-prone, too, ending up with odd injuries from improbable "oopses"~like her. Unfortunately, I look nothing like her. I have congestive heart failure, too, and wonder if that's what will end my life. (A condition very like it took my younger sister's life in early December.)

Which of her movies are my favorites? You see, I have to add that "s" because there isn't simply one that stands out, not in nearly 60 years of watching her. Among my favorites are:

1) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof ~ She was filming this when her beloved husband Mike Todd was killed in a plane crash. Somehow, she held together and gave us Maggie the Cat, perhaps THE interpretation of that role and definitely forever influential to other actresses. "Little no-neck monsters!" is one of my family's favorite movie quotations. It doesn't hurt that Burl Ives co-stars; he was born and raised in a county only a few miles from here.

2) Cleopatra ~ Wow! Do I remember the press coverage, the scandals, the over-the-budget craziness, the belief that this film would never be completed, especially when "Liz" (as the press insisted on calling her, much to her dislike) nearly succumbed to pneumonia. She was the first actress (if not actor~I'd have to check) to receive a $1 million contract! Thanks to various circumstances, she actually earned somewhere around $7 million for playing the Queen of Egypt! People forget it was a huge moneymaker, far from a failure!

3) Raintree County ~ It's easy to picture Elizabeth as Scarlett O'Hara when you watch her play Susanna Drake~if Scarlett had a mental breakdown that is. She proved what a friend she could be when her very close friend Montgomery Clift was in a near-fatal car accident. From IMDb: It was she who saved him from choking by pulling out two teeth lodged in his throat. (Yes, it was that horrible.)

4) Giant ~ She gets to age from fair flower fainting under the Texas sun to the elderly wife once more finding something to admire in her husband. "Men stuff? Lord have mercy. Set up my spinning wheel, girls. I'll join the harem section in a minute." I LOVE that scene!

There are so many others I have watched many times: Doctor Faustus; The Taming of the Shrew; Suddenly, Last Summer; A Place in the Sun; Little Women (my favorite Amy); and Life With Father (a small role but delightful).

I'm with you: She was one of my favorite actresses and a true movie star, a real icon of the cinema.

• Laredo

I really like Elizabeth Taylor and was a fan, I thought she was very beautiful woman and a great actress. She had a cameo part in the tv series North and South which also starred the late Patrick Swayze, I also liked her in Butterfield 8 and Cleopatra. It is a very sad day that another Hollywood Great has died.

• Her rare violet eyes were gorgeous. I loved Taming of the Shrew.

• She was good in Lassie go home

R.I.P ...