Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

meyow asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My Bengal cat won't stop biting me?

I'm usually rather knowledgeable about cats, however, my little bengal will NOT cease to bite me. It isn't vicious, and I know it is out of boredom. Because she is a bengal and her teeth are stronger, it hurts a lot more than a normal cat bite... not only that, but she also bites my friends. She isn't afraid of anyone and she thinks everyone is her buddy! She tends to prefer males to females (with the exception of me).

I have seriously tried many different forms of discipline. Water does nothing, she likes water! I have tried giving her toys, including expensive ones made out of real fur, but she only likes that for a short period of time, and would much rather attack my legs while I walk instead. She is a highly intelligent cat, for I have taught her several tricks (sit, stay, shake, high-five) but for some reason she seems incapable of learning that when I pet her (never from above, always from behind) that is not an invitation to play. Also, sometimes I'm just sitting at my computer or minding my own business, and she attacks me! It drives me crazy!

She is no longer teething, because she is too old for that. She'll be a year old in about a month.

Is this characteristic of all bengals above an F4 status? She can be very sweet and loves to sleep next to me at night (when it's her idea) and greets me at the door when I come home, but she also is obstinate and causes a lot of trouble...

Meh: Maybe you should be exorcized.

It is NOT a tiger. Bengals are mixed with the asian leopard cat, "Bengal" has to do with the scientific name of the asian leopard and is not associated with the tiger by any means. They are a domesticated hybrid. I am well aware of the show fatal attractions, and have volunteered at a big cat rescue.

She doesn't like other cats. I don't like dogs. I can't really get her a playmate...

I'm not trying to transform her into something she isn't, I admire her exotic nature and love her but also I need to be able to coexist with her. Biting is NOT okay, and I'm simply looking for a way to control it.

Favorite Answer

My Bengal is the same. He likes to chew on my hair. And, he loves water. I've learned to avoid petting him around the neck area. This seems to stimulate him very quickly, then he'll bite.

Yours is still a baby, the attacking when walking by, mine attacks the dog too. The Bengals are very smart. You've tried everything else so maybe it's time for a Thwack. I prefer anywhere but the head area or face. This can make them hand-shy. Decide where on his body your going to give him a thunk with your thumb and middle finger and stick with it. Now when mine comes up to me and I can see he's 'getting ready' all I have to do is form my 2 fingers at him and he quits. Every once in awhile he'll come up close. I can see the wheels working in his head. He wants to attack. But by now he knows what will follow. He comes in really quick for a bite on my ankle (not hard) and runs off very fast. I have to laugh. It's rare too.

Timing is important. You don't have to wait until she's actually bitten you. Take a moment from what you're doing and focus on watching her. You will notice when she's changed from just sitting there to getting ready for a bite. You can Thwack her mid stride. This kind of timing really takes them by surprise and is extremely effective. Imprints on them a long time.

Mine likes to play in the dog water bowl. If you don't have a dog just put a bowl or heavy pot on the floor. See what she does. Mine likes to deposit 'gifts' in the water. He carries off with milk jug lids, empty yogurt jugs, fake flowers.

Some Bengals like to play in slightly running faucet water.

Bengals are unique so it's not surprising they require things handled a bit different.

Sometimes mine talks to me. I'll say, 'PT, you bored?' He screams back, 'YEAHHHH' with a kind of meow drawl.

Good Luck!

We have the same problem with our Bengal. I've had many cats over my 50+ years and have never had a cat that acts like this one! He is about 7 months old and loves playing all the time. It he gets the least bit bored though, he thinks it's okay and fun to attack any of us (and mostly the poor dog.) While he is clearly playing, he is more than happy to use both his teeth and claws.

We've noticed that his "moods" seem to come on at certain times of the day, so the key is to keep him distracted by playing with him (he regularly destroys toys!) But we've learned that playing with him too much can also get him riled up, so it's really a balancing act. Distracting him, and not stimulating him by trying to pet/cuddle him have worked the best for us. Only once was he so bad that we had to shut him up in the bedroom for an hour or so until he calmed down. Spraying him with water, was a deterrent for about a day, and then it didn't bother him at all. We also discovered that he is immune to catnip. So getting him stoned really isn't an option either.

The good news is that despite attacking our Basset Hound on a regular basis, our very well behaved dog hasn't killed him yet! (Though we ensure that he gets regular breaks from the cat.) And despite being constantly wounded (thank God none of us are allergic to him) our family still loves him very much. He seems to behave best when food is not involved (He is amazingly brazen about trying to get people's food.), and when sitting with our daughter (she is the only one he'll cuddle with.) This is actually great because it is nominally her cat.

Personally I think this is in the breed. Funny most Bengal breeders won't cop to it when a person who doesn't KNOW much about Bengals is asking about how DOMESTIC a Bengal can actually be expected to be. The fact is no matter what there "status" or how far removed the Bengal is.....it is still a wild cat that is trying to be domesticated. It has in it's NATURE wild genes. That is primarily what is attractive about it. That is what makes it an exatic. Also it is what makes it difficult to handle down the line because like ALL exotics there is a piont where the animal is likeley to have special needs....because of it's temperment and cannot be expected to behave or act like a normal dometic "pet". A Bengal is NOT a kitty cat. That is the fact of the matter. It is half wild cat. This is WHY CFA does not accept it in it's registry.

You cannot "train" the Bengal not to act like a Bengal. You can take preventative steps so that you and your friends don't get bit or hurt when she's feeling pissy. She's a Bengal, she will have her moments and she will be unpredicatable. because her claws and teeth are BIG someone can get hurt if she gets MAD, be prepared. Just my opinion. She may be your "pet" but always respect what she is and never forget and try and turn her into what you want her to be.

Source(s): CFA cat breeder

I'm not sure that you can really stop them from their inborn aggressiveness. The only thing I might suggest is walking around with a squirt bottle and giving him a quick spray when he exhibits behavior indicating he is about to strike - being preemptive might help. I'm sure there is someone here who actually owns a Bengal that will have better advice, so my ideas come from just being a standard domestic cat owner and what I've heard works. Might be that he is the type of cat that one just can't "play" with due to his nature...

I personally believe that cats are the same as dogs where they should be taught that biting is not okay, no matter the reason. I have 4 cats that have been trained to never bite, making them a dream to deal with for vet clinics lol.

My strategy has been to give them a firm tap on the forehead when they bit me, whether it was a 'love bite' or angry, it didn't matter. If they laid teeth on me, there's going to be a consequence for it.

It is better to do this when they don't see it coming and immediately when they are in the process of biting, therefore delivering a shock value sort of effect. After that, ignore her for a while. This is what a momcat would do if her kittens are crossing the lines or are being rude. After being surprised with a tap, your cat will either run off or settle down. You need to keep this consistent and don't let the cat get away with a bite, even in play. It will confuse her and think sometimes it is ok to bite and other times it's not. You want to enforce to her that it is NEVER ok to bite. :) So, it's really important not to annoy or aggravate your cat even just for fun. After some time has passed, pay attention to her when she wants it. She will learn over time in this manner that if she bites, she's going to get an unpleasant surprise. No biting, she'll get praise and attention.

To this day, my cats don't bite people under any circumstances. It is as a result of their training and discipline, and it will earn you the cat's respect. To this day, my cats are very loving with me and when I lay down in bed at night, they compete over who is going to sleep the closest to me. Its really cute. :)

Hope this helps :)

Source(s): Vet tech Former cat foster parent Worked in a cat hotel Owned by 4 cats

I ve had my Bengal kitty since he was 12 weeks old; he is nearly 12. Kona is the most loving, playful and loyal kitty; he follows me from room to room, talks to me and waits for me at the top of the stairs when I return from work. He sleeps curled up next to me every single night I m home for the past 12 years. And yes, he does bite my bare ankles on occasion. If I m talking on the phone too long to my sister, I get a hard nip. Or, if he gets overstimulated with too much petting or too much playing. You will learn to see when your kitty is getting overstimulated. At that time, I say "Kona, it s time to calm down; you need to calm down" and I stop all physical interaction. Still he very loving and very little wild in him; just loving and playful. He is curled up beside my legs right now. I would get a Bengal kitty over any other breed; they are truly unique.

I had a similar problem with one of my mom's cats a few years ago. When she started to bite, I would tap her hard (not enough to hurt her but enough to get her attention) on the forehead with one or two fingers and say "no biting" after a few days I only had to hold up the fingers and say "no" or "no biting" after awhile I simply said "no" when she was about to bite. Now she rarely bites.

Hey, I know that this thread is kinda old and you asked your question a while ago but I have a 5 year old, male F2 Bengal. I received him as a rescue from a family that severely neglected him because they were unprepared for his behaviour. The first year I had him he was so vicious that once he jumped at my mom and tried to bite her throat. It took several years of patience and bandaids but he's much better. He will still put his teeth on my hands when we "rough house" but that's it. I find that kind of rough play gives him an outlet for his aggression. It sounds silly but I will talk to him soothingly if he got too excited and I would distract him with something else (a toy...). Also I think they naturally mellow as they get older. Water didn't work for me either. And light taps just made him more angry (seriously). It's important to understand that your cat may never completely end this behaviour. They're naturally aggressive. Unfortunately most breeders will downplay that.

Are you saying you have a Bengal Tiger as a pet and it is continually biting you?

Then obviously you need to get blinders off and start watching Fatal Attractions, a show about people who own wild animals that eventually turn on them, as all wild animals will do. They are after all wild.

If this is a bengal tiger, even tho you love it, you need to get rid of it.

Maybe it's a tiger