How is the story of Hamlet intertwined with the 1994 movie Renaissance Man besides it being taught?

Favorite Answer

That was a great movie. The main theme of Hamlet is "To thine ownself be true." Maybe the theme of the movie is "Be all you can be you can be," which is similar.

I don't like rap music, so I was a little put off by the rap version of Hamlet that was included in the movie. But that was more than made up for by this: One of the characters said something like, "They hired a gravedigger on the same day the dude was born and on that same day the dude's father killed a man in a duel and won land that the dude inherited. How cold is that?" That is one of the most essential elements of Hamlet - something most "critics" overlook.

By the way, Roger Ebert gave the movie only one-and-a-half stars. More recently Ebert gave Lion King five stars. Lion King is supposedly based on Hamlet, but it's theme and ethics are exactly opposite. Ebert's an idiot.

http://www.thyorisons.com/#Nutshell - Hamlet in a Nutshell

The title says it all: "The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark." Because he is Prince of Denmark he is not free to carve for himself. He is subject to the voice of Denmark - and that voice was sent from Hell to speak of horrors.

Hamlet, like all the other major characters, is untrue to himself. When he is himself, he is like Horatio, a student from Wittenberg. But as he said, "Horatio, or I do forget myself." He does forget himself. He erases himself and his humanist education (all saws of books, all forms, all pressures past, that youth and observation copied there) from his own brain and there in the book and volume of his brain he writes his father's commandment (the voice of Denmark, sent from Hell to speak of horrors, to breathe contagion, unfolding the secrets of his prison-house that he was forbid to tell to mortal ears). Hamlet is from himself taken away.

When he is not "from himself taken away," Hamlet is a rational humanist scholar from Wittenberg. But Hamlet erases that side of himself from the book and volume of his brain and replaces it with the commandment of his warlike father. Thereafter all of Hamlet's soliloquies are really debates between the warring sides of his divided soul. Hamlet is a valiant soldier of the spirit, fighting a desperate internal battle to defend the sovereignty of his soul.

In the "my thoughts be bloody" soliloquy:

Hamlet the scholar says,

Sure, he that made us with such large discourse,

Looking before and after, gave us not

That capability and god-like reason

To fust in us unused.

But Prince Hamlet, the soldier-son of a warlike king scoffs at "thinking too precisely on the event" and concludes:

My thoughts be bloody, or be nothing worth!

A gravedigger was hired on the very day that Hamlet emerged from his mother's womb, which was the same day his father put old Fortinbras into the womb of earth (his grave), thus acquiring land "that was and is the question of these wars" and which was Hamlet's inheritance, figuratively a graveyard, not big enough to cover the dead from the impending war.

BERNARDO (Act 1, Scene 1, lines 121-124)

I think it be no other but e'en so:

Well may it sort that this portentous figure

Comes armed through our watch; so like the king

that was and is the question of these wars.

That is Hamlet's dilemma - whether "TO BE OR NOT TO BE," like the Ghost, "so like the king THAT was and IS THE QUESTION of these wars."

Source(s): My website: http://www.thyorisons.com/ Be All My Sins Remembered Essays on motifs, symbolism, & themes in Hamlet.

The Renaissance Man Movie