Am I full of pride because I don't believe?

I questioned the existence of god on a forum dedicated to a particular Christian ministry that was doing "faith healing" and was told that I am full of pride and in a "carnal state" that made it impossible for me to "get it."

What am I not getting, exactly? That someone's idea of a god does faith-healing to miraculously remove a scar from someone's surgery, but lets a child born with Tay Sach's die a horrible, agonizing death that takes the child from blindness to retardation to horrible pain before death at five years old? What sort of god would do that, anyway?

And how is it prideful to ask for evidence? Surely believers would ask for evidence if someone tried to convert them. But only if they doubted first... but many fear even that. For to doubt is to risk the wrath of their strange god. Can none of you theists see that it is not a mythical god of the Bronze Age that you should be concerned with? It's the religion that keeps blinders on you, and puts fear into your heart so that you are afraid even to question anymore.

Rather than launch into a full-scale rant, tell me, how is it prideful to question the existence of a god when the claim is astronomically extraordinary and the "evidence" is the same faith every religion uses, with a text of translated and re-translated desert scribblings from a by-gone era to back it up?

• Demi
    Favorite Answer

The overwhelming majority of Christers don't even follow their own book - if they've even read it. Those who have read it all the way through usually have not done so with an eye to the socioeconomic and geopolitical realities of the times in which it was written or have allowed others to tell them what it means. The bible is clear they are to meditate on it themselves, not blindly listen to others. They are also to question so they know if what they are doing/being taught is indeed "of the spirit". I believe just one of the verses I am thinking of is in 2 Timothy. The "truth" can stand up to scrutiny and questioning. If they and/or their practices cannot stand up to scrutiny and questioning, then they don't have the truth by any faith's standards.

You are not being prideful by questioning, you are doing what the bible instructs everyone to do. Since they slung insults at you rather than answered you, it is a safe bet they are not "of the spirit" no matter how much they may think they are. If they are "of the spirit" they will answer in such a way that it is not only biblically sound, but also in a manner that makes it clear they are aware of their role as ambassadors for their faith. They are supposed to be GOOD ambassadors for their faith, but many come across more as President of Poor Anger Management Issues and Butthurt Reactionary Behavior - which reflects badly on them, their faith and their god.

BTW, faith healing does more harm than good and I am very, very sick of hearing of people getting probation for letting their children die because they want to pray the diabetes (or seizures, or urinary tract blockages or...) away instead of go to a doctor. There's a reason the divine made some of us smarter than others and that should be utilized, especially when a child's life is on the line. It's not as if a child can consent to being denied medical treatment in favor of prayers. As far as I'm concerned that is just as much child endangerment/gross negligence - at the very least - as if they'd locked them in the trunk of the car packed in bubble wrap because it's "safer" if they're in an accident. Stupid and shortsighted and fraught with danger the alleged parent refuses to acknowledge, having discarded common sense and human decency in favor of their own misguided beliefs. I'm usually not into removing children from parents in all but extreme circumstances, but in the case of some of these nutters, those kids need to be removed ASAP. If they get ill no one will know until they die as the nutters will just gather 'round and pray.

You can read just a few instances of people being killed or harmed by faith healing here http://whatstheharm.net/faithhealing.html It's a serious issue and I have no idea why more people within the Christian community do not treat it as such.

Source(s): Nordic Heathen - we had to read the bible in school. I'm originally from an officially Chrisitan country that is full of Pagans, Heathens and atheists - probably because they made us read the bible in school.

It is the spirit of life in all things that heals us not people. Yet some people are a channel for healing.

Once upon a time a long time ago I was listening to the radio and a minister said 'It is a brave man that questions his faith' and I am sure I heard a tear in his voice. As years have past I know what that means and I am a woman. No it is not prideful to question it is sensible. Yet it is pointless to question those who are filled up with the words written in a book and a belief that was born during their childhood. There are little personal 'miracles' that happen during a life time and much larger ones that can happen to a country. When I was very young my favourite book was called 'Our Wonderful World, and Enid Blytons 'Famous 5'. After all the bible refers to the lives of people over 2000 years ago and in a different land.

Just wanted to say HEALING is VERY REAL!!!!! didnt Jesus perform hands on healing??

we are all part of God correct??

There fore we all have the power to heal ourselves and others!

Also remember this....... the bible has been wrtten and changed SO MANY times that people have added and taken out bits here and there so we dont actually know which bits are true, its been changed to suit what churches ect want us to think remember that!

So-called "faith healing" in this day and age is false doctrine. Just read the Bible, New Testament first. Stay away from the false prophets. They have led many to hell.

You're not getting it means that you do not value blind faith as much as they do.

Source(s): We need members: RatSkep.org