Is the Confederate flag/Rebel flag racist?

Hi there, i want to hear peoples opinions about the rebel flag, in my opinion i don't think its racist because:

The Civil war was fought over state rights, even Pres. Lincoln stated that the main purpose of the war was to save the Union.

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."

"I am not now, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in any way the social or political equality of the white and black races. I am not now nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor of intermarriages with white people. There is a physical difference between the white and the black races which will forever forbid the two races living together on social or political equality. There must be a position of superior and inferior, and I am in favor of assigning the superior position to the white man."

Also many people state that the flag symbolizes slavery, well didn't America have slavery? didn't our founding fathers have slaves? didn't many people in Northern America have slaves? so doesn't that mean that Northern americans are racist?

so to sum it all up, in my point of view the flag symbolizes heritage and our southern ancestors.

so let me hear your opinions about it :D

Just found some more quotes:

"If I thought that this war was being fought solely for the freeing of the slave, I would resign my commission and offer my sword to the other side." - Ulysses Grant

"...slavery as an institution is a moral and political evil." - Robert E Lee

the quotes above even tell you that to some people in the north were pro-slavery and some people in the south were anti-slavery

so then if Robert E Lee the general of the southern army found slavery repulsive, and he fought next to the rebel flag then how come he was against slavery and never had any slaves? it was because he was from virginia, he was a patriot, he refused to command the Union army because they fought against his home state, which just proves my point of the southern flag not beingaboutt racism and slavery, but more of southern pride.

Favorite Answer

The confederate flag does not mean "I hate black people" the flag stands to rebel against something that is one of the big reason you will see it in racist groups because the flag means to stand for something, against something you think is wrong, which could be any thing. It does not stand for racism. It stands for heritage and to have the will power to stand up against things you think is wrong, from a bully at school to being heard in a meeting you must stand up for yourself and that is what the flag represents.

No. people relate the rebel flag to racism because in the movies every time there was a crazy redneck or a klu klux klan being featured they usually wielded confederate flag. hollywood is actually one of the main reasons why the confederate flag is seen as "racist". To most southerners, the confederate flag just signifies heritage, and simply the pride of being born in the south. Now, there are some prejudice southerners out there who take it too far.. but I personally was born in Louisiana and grew up seeing rebel flags everywhere. some confederate flags actually are printed with the phrase "heritage, not hate" on the front so people can get a better understanding of the flags true meaning.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

"If I could save the Union without freeing any...

Source(s): confederate flag rebel flag racist: https://shortly.im/pfm5Z
  • Mike K

Hello,

Whether it is or not depends on location, location, location:

1) This Confederate battle flag is certainly not racist if you have Southern ancestors and keep it for souvenirs, memorial gatherings and historical re-enactments. The Civil War itself that cost close to a million lives was all about Federal rights vs state rights and an agrarian culture in rough competition with an expanding industrial power. Had it been for the abolition of slavery, then it was the most senseless war in history because within one generation, all that heavy mechanized farm equipment from the steam shovel to the tractor could do the work in one day a few hundred slaves could do in a month and that whole insititution would have been rendered useless and uneconomical v ery quickly.

2) It is racist if you fly sport it on your bumper et al in the northern states or especially up here in Canada where we had nothing to do with the conflict. Here it is a statement to say I am redneck and proud of it and when it is flown or tattooded beside a swastika, its whole significance changes.

Cheers,

Michael Kelly

A symbol can mean different things to different people. Everybody has their own opinion of this symbol, based on their personal perception of the facts they select to include in forming that opinion. The debates raging today in the political realm are pointless. They are nothing more than one side trying to impose their view on the other, like my children arguing over who's favorite color is best - the terms of the argument are too subjective for either side to be right or wrong. So whether or not this symbol is racist is totally dependent on the individual observing the symbol. To some, they see it as a symbol of the racism leading to the civil war. For others, they see it as a symbol rebellion from the standard expectations of society and as a symbol of fierce individualism.

Now, given it's history, I'm inclined to agree that it shouldn't be flown as a state flag or at state capitols; but for the individual, each must choose if their perception of this symbol is appropriate for themselves, and understand that others may see it differently than they do...

"the South fought on account of the thing we quarreled with the North about. I never heard of any other cause for quarrel, than slavery"...John Singleton Mosby...CSA

Take the time to read the secession declarations of Southern states, and the Cornerstone Speech, by Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens. They are emphatic as to what the war was about.

The South did NOT fight for states rights...except as it pertained to slave rights. The reason the Republican Party was founded, was to oppose the abuses of states rights in the West, and the North, by the Southern-controlled Federal Government.

Read up on Bleeding Kansas. The South's meddling in the affairs of Kansans, and the subsequent invasion of that territory by pro-slave militias to force that state into the Union, as a slave state, against the clear wishes of the voting public.

Robert E. Lee permitted his army to engage in the capture and removal of free Blacks in both Pennsylvania, and Maryland. Men, women, & children were rounded up like cattle, and forced South as slaves. Whites who hid Blacks, or tried to interfere with the 'roundup' were threatened with death and property destruction. Some whites were forced at bayonet point to assist with the capture.

Documented by civilians AND Confederate accounts.

That filthy rag stands for slavery, treason, civil war, domestic terrorism, and Jim Crow.

It's a despicable symbol, for a disgraceful heritage.

Your quotes from Lincoln are earlier in his career. His views evolved rapidly during the war, especially after Blacks fought as soldiers, and this viewpoint is reflected towards the end of the war. Notably when he toured Richmond in 1865...and was MOBBED by Blacks in that city, as if he was the second coming

Lee was a traitor. He took an oath to defend the USA against ALL enemies foreign and domestic. He dishonored that oath, and engaged in the slaughter of the very people he had sworn before God to protect.

Fellow Virginian and Union General George H. Thomas had this to say about the subject..." I took an oath to defend the United States of America. I do not break my oaths".

EVERY Northern state abolished slavery INDEPENDENTLY of the Federal Union, decades before the Civil War...some before 1800. The Vermont Republic abolished slavery before the nation was founded...1777...they were in fact, one of the first Western nations to do so.

The only reason that slavery existed in the Union at all, is because the South refused to join, unless it was protected.

No it is not it represents Heritage and the states that withdrew from the union to represent itself against the northern oppression

i don't think it is racist.

i think the south has to let go and stop using a nation's flag that is no longer a nation.

the USA has their own flag.