Is this a set up or is CPS planning to take my son? Is the hospital trying to cover their tracks?

I had my son on Dec 31st 2010. He was born 3 months premature and his due date was March 17th of 2011. A while after he was born he was diagnosed with NEC aka narcotizing enterocolitis Necrotizing enterocolitis, usually called NEC, is a condition where the intestines become infected and can begin to die. The disease usually affects premature babies, although term babies may also get NEC. NEC is a serious condition that may require surgery, and has a high morbidity and mortality rate. He was put on antibiotics and was not allowed to eat regular food so the put him on something called TPN and lipids. Then he was cured and they discharged him. He was discharged 3/14/2011. He would throw up alot, projectile vomiting. On the 4th night we had him he became very lethargic and then unresponsive. e was breathing but it was very shallow and he had a pulse. So i rushed him to the hospital. The next day the doctor came in and said that my son had a broken rib. So they said we are gonna have to call CPS on u just for the safety of the baby. ( I would never hurt my baby me and my son have been through so much. I had just got him home there is no way i wanted him to be back in the hospital.) anyway..then another doc came and said that oh this fracture is a healing fracture and it could be a couple days old or a couple weeks old. I think they might be setting me up. they have caused my family and I so much turmoil and emotional distress. what do you guys think i should do? i couldn't handle someone taking my only child away from me. Do u guys think i should hire a lawyer? do u think they might take my son?

• jayne
    Favorite Answer

The hospital has to report any broken bones in an infant...that is the law. You have nothing to worry about as long as you did nothing to hurt the baby. There will be an investigation and the police and social services will try to determine how the baby was hurt. You only have to worry about your baby being taken away if you did something bad to him. I HOPE that isn't the case.

You need to have that dr who told you it could be a few days or weeks old, and that it was a healing fracture, report this, make sure you have that down on record and get a lawyer definatly, if you know 100% this wasn't caused by you or anyone at home ( make sure you talk to everyone who has held your baby, to make sure there were no accidents, that they were to scared to tell you about).

Otherwise one of the nurses/doctors may have accidently done something to your baby that caused this, that they didn't report!

From the sound of it, I would definatly have the nurse or dr who told you about the fracture/cps looked into..... how did they know? Did he have xrays taken? Or did the nurse/doctor just tell you this?

Idk it sounds suspicious to me. Get a lawyer, and get to the bottom of this situation. I personally would go to a different hospital, because if I knew it wasn't caused by me, or anyone outside of the hospital, I wouldn't be wanting to put my baby in harms way once again.

I hope everything is better.Yes call a lawyer but watch what you say.and yes the hospital has to call CPS. When they show up do NOT volenteer any information they will turn anything you say against you. But don't lie. Direct yes and no answers are best. Ask for a copy of the x-ray, and start writing EVERYTHING down. The best thing to do is have all your ducks in a row.

Source(s): Life

i'd get a lawyer but while i am always suspicious of cps they are trying to make sure your child is ok. what you need to do is try to figure out where and when he did break that rib. could he still been in the hospital. heck make sure it was actually broken, you should have seen the x-rays. becareful and watchful. i hope your son is doing better.

• Wow, sorry to hear all this.

But I honestly don't think the hospital is out to get you.

I think the first dr. you spoke to, didn't know what the hell he was talking about.

Even if they do call CPS, you have nothing to worry about you.

You're a good mother and there isn't any passed or reported abuse, right?

Just continue what you're doing and take care of your baby as much as you can, and try not to stress so much.

Good luck.

I would get ahold of legal aid and see what they say.when babies are that tiny they are very delicate so his little rib could have broken at the hossy and they. didny know it