Paying Pet Deposit - Landlord Unresponsive?

I made several attempts to contact my landlord about getting a dog and paying the pet deposit. I started calling two weeks prior to actually getting the pet and the landlord was unresponsive.

I now have the dog and the landlord has finally responded indicating that the breed (Jack Russell Terrier) is restricted. My lease does not provide any information on breed restrictions - apparently that is in a separate addendum that I would sign when paying the pet deposit. I have personally never heard of Jack Russell Terrier being a restricted breed for any apartment, and didn't even consider this as an issue when picking a dog breed.

I am not really sure what to do at this point, and am wondering if anyone has any advice or has dealt with similar circumstances.

Thank you for your responses thus far - I should have stated that I understand that I have no legal reason to be able to keep the dog on the property, perhaps my frustration with my property manager's poor communicaiton skills made that unclear. I am seeking some information around the best way to negotiate and/or terminate the lease in these circumstances.

For the record Jack Russells are only problem dogs when they do not recieve the attention and exercise that they need. Pretty much any breed of dog is a potential problem if the owner does not understand and address their unique needs...

Best Answer

You have to get rid of the dog.

You never had a contract stating it was acceptable, so it is not. He did not have to provide you a list, all dogs are not allowed unless they are included in the lease.

You did not bother to get permission first, this is your problem.

He can restrict any breed he wants. I hate chihuahuas, I could ban them from my property if I wanted to. You can not dictate to him what he can and can not have on his property.

You never should have actually got a dog until you spoke to the landlord. A property generally allowing pets is NOT a blanket OK for you to get any pet you want to. A lease will not normally state anything about a pet that you do not have. Anything not specifically allowed in the lease must be assumed is not allowed until confirmed with the landlord. You got the dog before you were authorized to do so & now you have to deal with the consequences.

Jack Russels are known for excessive barking & can be aggressive. The landlord has every right not to allow any kind of dog he so chooses. There are reasons people (my dog's trainer for one, she refuses to train them) call them Jack Russel Terrorists.

EDIT: You have no legal grounds to negotiate or terminate the lease. You comply with the landlord's requirements or you get evicted. Those are your options.

Source(s): I'm a property manager

I am not surprised this breed is restricted; terriers are generally VERY noisy and VERY destructive. Not a "dangerous" breed, but a headache for landlords, nonetheless. You have to understand that the landlord makes all the decisions when it comes to pets; they can restrict whatever they want for any or no reason. No tenant is ever entitled to have a pet. They all require a landlord's permission.

You should not have accepted the dog without your landlord's permission. Your options now are to get rid of the dog or break your lease. Breaking your lease will have hefty consequences that can follow you for the next 10+ years.

You were the one in the wrong because you got the dog before you got permission. Even if he's unresponsive, the bottom line is that you don't have a permission to have a dog until the contract is executed. Right now the lease you signed states you aren't allowed to have a dog and that's the bottom line. He could force you to get rid of the dog.

Sorry, but you may have to get rid of that dog if you want to continue living there unless you can work out a deal with him to allow an exception. I would invite him over to meet the dog and discuss the issue.

Jack Russells tend to be noisey, snappy and diggers, so I can see that they could be restricted.

Do other people in the apartments have dogs? If they do, then you can threaten your landlorn with discrimination, or unfair treatment. Also, ask to see the form that specifically says Jack Russel Terriers are restricted. That is a very random breed to pick from the hundreds of different breeds to be restricted, and it sounds like a lie to me.

He cant, until the wear is over the quantity of the preliminary deposit, and activity linked with it (if any) yet, in case you dont have info of that, the probabilities are high he can income from that, in case you went to small claims court docket, until you demands it for ALL of his tenants, then you definately've heritage information of him charging that quantity. A puppy deposit grow to be to guard you, and the owner, from minor harm like door clawing and minor carpet staining which would be shampooed out, something previous that is tremendously severe. maximum landlords that permit pets take an excellent possibility by using letting animals on their belongings. Get an direct estimate of the main fee the wear may well be to restoration. not in effortless terms the minor, this might incorporate carpet fix, stain lifting, door replace, Flea infestation, any of those, are undertaking-unfastened puppy damages. once you get your estimate and your info of your deposit, deliver it to small claims court docket. in case you at the instant are not moving out, and that is an annual inspection. then you definately might desire to pay for the wear, his deposit grow to be in effortless terms for a circulate out, maintenance, not modern maintenance. i'm hoping i helped. yet, dont rush it, your deposit might have lined the wear, you want him to instruct you the reciept or get an estimate on the wear. in the experience that your deposit which you gave him,

You should never have gotten the dog before discussing with LL. You need to get rid of the dog.

JRT can be VERY possessive and snappy.