What do you think is better as a first motorcycle, suzuki gsx-r600, yamaha r6 or honda cbr600rr?

I'm getting a motorcycle soon but still confused between suzuki gsx-r600, yamaha r6 or honda cbr600rr. What would you recommend? And I'm getting a used one so what year is best for me? my average is 5000-8000$?

Best Answer

If I am not mistaken the gsx 600 is a v-twin of sorts and the gsx line doesn't use the in line engines until you get to 650CC and higher. So that may be the safe way to go. I have to disagree with getting a 250. Just because you get a bike that can do 130MPH doesn't mean you have to go that fast. The sports bike fairy isn't going to come and take away your bike because you don't ride like your on a suicide mission.

• Red

Those are all terrible absolutely incredibly STUPID first bikes. All of them. They are race bikes with lights, if you think you can handle that as a first bike you're either incredibly naive or just poorly informed. Start with something that's NOT a race replica bike. Look into a SV-650, GSX-500, Ninja 650, etc etc.

EDIT: A note, it is not the engine size that is the issue here; 600cc's is a relatively small engine, it's how that engine makes it's power. A 600cc engine designed to rev to 14k RPM's is a very different beast from a 1200cc bike that will never see the north side of 800 RPM's.

• Dan H

None of the above. Full on sports bikes are not the best beginner bikes. They have a peaky powerband, less torque on the low end so are harder to get moving, positively 'twitchy' handling, and a huge hit of power at the top end. All of the reasons these make great race track bikes, but poor road bikes.

If you want some of that sport bike with better beginner characteristics, look at a FZ6, Bandit, SV650 or similar. They are great bikes, available as good used bikes and you will have a lot of fun with them.

AGREE with above statements X 10

IF u are determined to get 600 sportbike for first bike get an OLDER one and I mean neighborhood of 20yrs older.

Why he asks:

a. u ARE going to drop it (prob several times), hurts less on wallet and pride to do this to something that isn't as shinny.

b. 20 yrs ago they were more user friendly (didn't have quite the edge that present ones do).

This means more heads up riding position, less touchy about brakes, steering, throttle.

c. the models would be Honda F1 or F2, Yamaha FZR, Suz Gsxr, Kawi Ninja

Source(s): heard this 10mil times

All great choices if you don't want to ride for very long, and want to die very painfully and violently. If you want to ride these bikes stick to the video game or take a few years earning the real life skills you will need. Contrary to popular belief, it is actually alot more fun to ride a bike that you do have the skills to control.

Have you ever been on a bike??No! forget the above bikes these bikes will hurt you so fast you have no idea the raw power.Ride a 250 for 10,000 miles,then move up.

Get a Hayabusa and be assured of winning the Darwin award

haha your nuts dude, get a 250 ninja or something that kind, but if i had to choose the yamaha r6 would be my choice!

• Gail

i dont see the point- is it a fashion statement?? " oh ive got the latest release of the cbr- loook at me !" If you prefer next years design then thats your choice, if you dont and like this years design...... then again your choice. on a nother point, if you go for next years model, then youll have to search around for matching leathers... as the current ones will clash! sorry(well not really) , but i dont see the point my bikes i buy them because i like motorcycling and they are work horses- i make the bike not the bike makes me.

This question has been asked 1,000,000 times (sorry, 1,000,001 times with yours added) and Red's answer is spot-on. Get something like a 250. Take a riding course. Buy a full-face helmet. Wear protective gear. 'Nuff said.