Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 9 years ago

are Nuclear Power Plant considered "green energy"?

are Nuclear Power Plants, like the one that got destroyed in Japan considered to be green energy producers? i know that solar, wind and water are considered to be green energy, but someone told me that so are nuclear power plants, like the one in Japan that is leaking radiation everywhere... i thought that green energy was supposed to be good for our environment. is this true or false about nuclear power plants?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

US Air Force did not think of using nuclear bombs in Japan in 1942 because nuclear energy was green but because it was highly destructive energy with long term impact which can spread internationally. Now terrorists and suicide bombers may also get access to nuclear energy based weapons of destruction.

Japan is a land of earthquakes and tsunamis-last week's was not the first earthquake above 6 richter scale. Japan is actually unfit for human settlement and more unfit for nuclear plant settlement. There are regions in US which are also prone to earthquakes-one such state is California where Hollywood industry thrives and California had to see the radiation plume that spread from Fukushima nuclear power station. And Japanese people had to taste radiation contaminated milk and spinach-quite green. 24 out of 104 nuclear reactors operating in US are in regions that are experiencing severe drought-considering that reactor cooling has been instrumental in widely publicized nuclear accidents like TMI, Chernobyl and even Fukushima-these 24 units are a reason to worry about. Uptil now there is only one commercial breeder reactor in the world which is in Russia. So issues like fuel reprocessing, uranium mining, health of mine workers, abandoned mine clean up and nuclear waste disposal have to be addressed before calling nuclear as a green energy.

• charis
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Is Nuclear Energy Green

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Nuclear energy is considered a green energy source due to the fact it does not produce CO2 or other greenhouse gases. The debate starts more at the point of if it is considered a renewable resource. Technically it is not a renewable resource but is sometimes lumped into the category anyway due to the fact that fuel source is still rather large. Same debate occurs with fusion energy. While technically the fuel supply is not limited, 30,000 (for Deuterium) years sure seems like a good ballpark figure for forever.

Honestly, based on how you phrase your question with, "like the one in Japan that is leaking radiation everywhere," I think you already knew the answer.

Source(s): In the alternative energy field
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's green in the sense that it doesn't emit greenhouse gasses but once it has been used it takes a long time to decay and breakdown to the point it isn't dangerously radioactive. But as green energy is also meant to be renewable nuclear power isn't green energy, because there is a finite amount of material used to fuel the power plant. Wind power on the other hand is green because it never runs out, unless the sun explodes, and it doesn't harm the environment.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • andy
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

That is the debate on nuclear power. In this case, acts of nature that are once in a few hundred to thousand years caused the plant to go unstable. This shows how well built the generation 2 reactors actually are. I don't know if you saw where this plant was built, but it was built on the ocean and got hit by a 30 foot tsunami which still didn't damage the nuclear plant. It did wipe out the backup systems.

• 9 years ago

Green energy is something which does not emit green house gases to produce that energy.

So nuclear power fits the bill. Due to accidents there is a possibility of radio active pollution. But not chemical pollution.

You said good for our environment. Yes radio activity is bad for humans alone. It has nothing to do with global warming. In nuclear power plants this radio activity is emmitted in insignificant scale that too accidentally. But in case of Thermal power plants CO2 is emmitted purposefully and fully knowing that emmissions cause pollution.

I hope you got the point.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

How can something like this be called "green" energy when it contaminates people that are downwind from the plants. Look up cancer rates and other health related problems from the down winders. It's a death plant NOT green energy.

• ?
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Nuclear energy is considered clean energy because under normal operating conditions, they have very low emissions and require small amounts of fuel to create large amounts of energy. The crisis in Japan is just that....a crisis.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

At the heart of any green energy is that it is renewable. Examples are solar panels (sun), wind turbines (the wind) and wave turbines (ocean waves). Because nuclear energy uses uranium which is in finite supply, I would say it does not qualify as green energy...

Source(s): In the field
  • 9 years ago

Yes they are very green. People think that nuclear power plants destroy the environment but it actually doesn't. It uses very low amounts of fuel to power it. I don't want to bore you with everything but to answer your question, yes it is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.