Kaya
Kaya asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

"Limitless" Movie Ending?

In the last scene of the movie Limitless, there is a short exchange between Eddie and the waiter that is not subtitled. Does anyone have a translation for what was said?

Best Answer

You're lucky, I'm from Quebec and my wife from China.

The french at the beginning is total gibberish, just saying a bunch of words fast, there's not even a sentence in there.

The Chinese, at the end, in Mandarin, is just as bad. He's ordering two lobsters, then the waiter says so you want neck napkins cause of the lobsters and he says something that remains a mystery to a native Mandarin speaker from Beijing.

lol

Source(s): Me and my wife, native french and mandarin speakers from Quebec(Kwanada) and China (Beijing).
    • Bent Snowman
      5 years agoReport

That is really strange that the French would be gibberish. Bradley Cooper speaks French. The Chinese is hard to understand, but it is a real exchange http://eastasiastudent.net/china/mandarin/bradley-cooper-chinese-limitless (it would be strange to end a movie with gibberish)

Not one correct answer here. Ironically, Joey 1987 shortened the word message to "MSG" which is actually what Eddie is talking about in that scene. MSG being short for monosodium glutamate. The interaction is a play on words and a joke between them.

He tells the waiter he wants lobster with no MSG. The Mandarin word for that acronym sounds similar to the word for scarf which the waiter jokes could be a lobster bib to keep his clothes clean. Eddie then says that a bib won't help with his dirty hands. The underlying meaning of his hands being dirty is that he's done dirty deeds to get to where he is.

Source: http://cinaptic.blogspot.com/2011/09/bradley-coope...

• Diane

Some Of The Worst Endings: Empire (with John Leguizamo). Layer Cake. Old Yeller.- my husband is still traumatized. Mystic River.- because everyone seems to get screwed. Million Dollar Baby. Blow. Some Of The Best Endings: Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind. Taken. Love Actually. Dead Poet's Society. Good Will Hunting.

He was supposedly ordering food in Mandarin/Chinese (like he had done before at the Italian restaurant). I say "supposedly" because I can kind of make out what he was trying to say at the beginning, but he was way off. I don't understand why they wanted to end the movie with crappy/inaccurate Chinese, but Eddie could've memorized his lines better. There are a lot of people (like myself) who actually speak Chinese, and that was slightly offensive/embarrassing.

Limitless In Chinese

Who gives a crap if his Mandarin is crap? Chinese is a difficult language to speak for foreigners with all the wrong-accent-different-meaning sort of thing. The protect his dirty hands at the end is just him eating the lobster by hand which he will enjoy much.

Most likely it didn't mean anything, but for some reason I feel like there might be some underlying purpose to the exchange. I mean we already know that he has perfected the drug but he may or may not be off of it.. Anyways, I agree, i wish someone would translate it.

hey i just caught the movie yesterday. It's mandarin, it's a chinese restaurant. there was no underlying msg, it was just a conversation of eddie placing an order in mandarin. and trust me bradley cooper mandarin is rubbish... haha,

Edward (Cooper) is ordering his and his gf lunch. He is talking to the waiter in Japanese. For the purpose of the movie it doesn't matter what specifically he is saying or ordering. They just trying to show us that he is still learning the languages easily.

In the last scene the language was NOT Japanese, it was Korean I think. I am going to ask my friend and post what he says if it is in fact Korean.