DVeek
DVeek asked in SportsMartial Arts · 10 years ago

2 Years of legitimate Karate and Muay Thai vs. 11 years ATA black belt?

Muay Thai/karate guy is in better shape than ATA guy but ATA guy is 15 pounds heavier. Who wins?

BTW they are both considered good for their level but muay thai takes it more serious

Favorite Answer

From your question it is obvious what you think the outcome would. Be. I agree that it is far from equal as far as ability, knowledge, and real application for self-defense. The sad part is that there are many good people that believe that the ATA teaches good martial arts. The closest ATA McDojo has an owner that has studied more than 17 years and holds an ATA 5th dan. Visiting once was all it took for me to see the depressing skill he had. He wobbled around trying to teach a form to his students. His balance was terrible. his technique only slightly better. See him and others like him in the past left me with a mix of feeling like laughing and being depressed. Many good brown belts in various styles of Karate, or Taekwondo (the real TKD not the McDojo kind), would make this ATA instructor look like a total fool.

I don't enjoy talking badly about organizations. However this dreg of the martial arts world needs to be exposed fro the utter trash it teaches under the guise of it being real self-defense.

...

Source(s): Martial art training and research over 43 years (Since 1967). Teaching martial arts over 37 years (Since 1973). Learning, researching, helping others to learn, dispelling the myths and misconceptions about the martial arts...

They're considered good for their level, but depends what the standard for each martial art is. ATA standard is much lower than other martial arts.

And I think the Karate/ Muay Thai fighter will win. I've seen black belt ATA fighters slowly dance on one leg while trying to execute a "fancy" high kick to the opponents head. Karate and Muay thai is more practical than ATA. Also they use their hands AND legs.

Karate and Muay Thai training is more rigorous than ATA. Especially if the Karate style is Kyokushin. ATA focuses so much on advancing belt ranking, it seems like they've forgot the importance of skill and technique.

Source(s): 4 years world federation taekwondo, currently 4 awesome years of kyokushin Karate

Id give it to the karate/muay thai guy. Reason being because ATA is terrible. You could be there for 30 years but only learn a month worth of things.

I don't know what ATA is, but it sounds bad. 2 years of Karate alone could probally beat the 11 years of ATA the way it sounds. A real karateka is rather muscular and could punch holes in this ATA thing guy probally. I know some american karate fighters and some real ones, real ones PWN but the american karate ones suck.

Promoting things related to ATA is like you are bringing someone into the hole with ruining points, wherein certain don't even know that such actions is a worthless matter, unless maybe if being notified by some people who realize what is correct and what is wrong.

So sad to say that sometimes people are tolerating this kind of activity, because what's matter here is only one issue, they want to acquire those belts on easy methods, without even thinking that such place is a "belt factory."

So sad.

Good luck

...............

Source(s): Senses
  • Jay

1 year of ATA is the equivalent of a few days in any other school, so... yeah. The choice is obvious.

Impossible to say for sure not enough information is included to give a good guess.