When considering a baby name - do you pay attention to magazine articles or psychological studies?

If you read this and saw the baby name you chose was one they found would grow up with criminal tendencies, would you change your mind?

Odd first names linked to criminality.

A man’s first name can predict his criminal tendencies, according to research released Wednesday by economists who compared crime statistics and a roster of more than 15,000 first names to reveal a distinct “name-crime link” among American males.

The more unpopular or uncommon the name, the greater the chance the lad will end up in jail, said David E. Kalist and Daniel Y. Lee of Shippensburg University.

“Regardless of race, juveniles with unpopular names are more likely to engage in criminal activity,” the study said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/29/st...

• Megs
    Best Answer

Ummmm, no.

• ?

Nope as to me that is just ridiculous as a name doesn't mean anything, as long as the child is raised right.

I prefer common names to uncommon ones for my own children, but I do not think that just because you have an uncommon name that you are more likely to become a criminal.

If you raise your children correctly, the name shouldn't matter.

"Odd names" have been linked to lower-class families, and often we judge lower-class families to be poor parents so maybe that's all studies have found? However, if my name was Jabbywolie I'd be pissed too and probably bullied. Bullying leads to mental/psychological disorders in some cases, and mental disorders can also lead to criminal behavior.

• Nicola

Nope. If a child is raised right, it doesn't matter what his or her name is. All my family grew up with uncommon names and none of them are criminals.

• i would take all that into consideration. but i think how you raise a child makes a bigger difference than what their name is. a name doesn't determine someones character.

Here is a web site for you. Top 100 baby names.

http://www.todaysparent.com/baby/namer/index.jsp?g...

Source(s): todaysparent.com

It depends on how kids were raised.

I call bs on that.