What is army basic training like for girls?

I'm 16 years old, and I'm thinking about joining the army for basic training and possibly serving my country later. What's it like, and what is expected of me? What do I need in order to join them? Thanks.

Best Answer

The same as it is for males, just sissified.

Basic training for women is co-ed with the guys... combat arms jobs are all male basic training, but all other MOS (military occupation specialty). Basic training is a piece of cake and I heard now it is really easy, I went through about 6 years ago and it was not impossible. They will be eager to teach you discipline and how to be a soldier. You need a high school diploma, you should be not too overweight, and have minimal health issues... almost none. Do not worry about what you are like now, the military will mold you into what they want you to be!! HOOAAH

Source(s): Been there done that, still on duty

They will not expect as much from you as they would from a male e.g. a male must run 1.5 miles in 10:30 secs for Females 14:30 you will not be required to do as many press ups and sit ups i think it is 50 press ups for females and 60 something sit ups.

(This is for the UK army)

Source(s): done basic training

The same as men as far as I know, but the best way to get up to date information is to go to a recruiting office and say you want to ask a few questions.

They help a lot and you can talk one on one to them

i don't leave for basic for five months but trust me asking this question on Yahoo answers most time will not get you any where. just wait till you 17 and talk to a recruiter.

Source(s): Female future soldier who has asked this question way to many times on yahoo answers and got more information googling it.

SPC DB may be your best near correct answer. But you need to learn self defense right now. It seems that male soldiers think it is OK to date rape or just rape for fun females who enlist. Take that training first. You can get a taste of the military by joining the National Guard to start with. Weekends you are military; the rest of the time you can work, go to school or whatever.

I did military push ups in school better than the ones for girls. The girls push ups bothered my back and knees for some reason. Dad was in WW ll. He taught me to march when I was small. I may have been hyper or something. Dad said when I was born I hit the ground at a dead run. So that explains why I hated to "mark time" worse than anything, Marking time, means you march in place, not forward. Only two of us 3 kids got it right. Our sister was a ditz. If we were marching along and Dad called out any order besides "forward march" she was totally confused.

Lesson: Make sure you know your right from your left. If you are prone to start walking with your right foot; you must learn to start with you left.

Marching starts from you standing at Attention. ( If you lock your knees like most do you will fall flat on your back or face) Keep knees slightly flexed; you can move them but only slightly, never lock your knees at Attention.

"Attention- Atten-hut, or Tench-hut" are all the same command. You snap to a standing straight position, looking forward not moving.

Fall out individuals drop out of formation. Officers take single step back with left foot. Non-Com take a step back on the left then with their right. Then scatter to mess usually. Mess is going to eat. There are more commands I am sure you can find. But these are a start.

If you are at parade rest, (arms behind your back, legs about a foot apart). You will be called to "Attention" next command "Forward March" some use (Harch) means the same thing. Next: To ya left, to ya left, to ya left,right, left. This is repeated until you are given "Cadences"

Example of a cadence:

You had a good home but you left....You're right

Jody was there when you left....You're right

Your baby was there when you left....You're right

Sound off ! 1-- 2

Sound off ! 3---4

Sound off ! 1-2-3-4-1-2....3-4

When the Drill Sargent starts the cadence and says the word... left ; your left leg should be moving forward.. When you answer: You're right, you right foot should be moving forward.

Drill Instructor: Sound off ! You reply 1-2.

" !" You reply 3-4

" !" You reply 1-2-3-4-1-2 ..3-4.

It's real simple. Now if they march you toward a wall in ROTC. When you reach the wall do a side step to the right or left. Only good if you're on the outside of the column approaching the wall.

"About Face" This can be done both marching or standing. Same procedure is used. Place your right foot behind your left and spin to the right to face in the opposite direction. If marching; fall into your regular pattern for marching. If standing, come back to "Attention" unless given.."Parade Rest" where you stand hands behind back and feet about 1 foot apart.

"Fall in" form a line if small in numbers or a column if large

The Duckworth chant ( or sound off ! ) started around 1944. Credit given to Private Willie Duckworth a ***** solders company was returning from a long march when a chant broke the silence of the night. Duckworth, on detached service with the Provisional Training Center, was chanting to build up the spirits of his comrades. This infectious chant spread throughout the ranks. And foot weary solders seemed to spring to life. 200 soldiers would "snap to" and instead of a defeated looking bunch of soldiers... heads rose, and their dragging steps, had spring again as though tiredness had melted away. Even smiles broke out among the once weary soldiers as they joined in song to the steps. This was a morale builder when on long marches and helped pull the marching steps of huge troops of men and helped coordinate the movements of close order drills into precision steps.

Source(s): Dad WW ll,US Army-Air Corpse; Uncle in Marines, Cousins In Marines, and Army, Others in family in Navy, Some are on the Arizona in Pearl Harbor. You Tube Cadences in the Military wikipedia Military cadence.... I glanced thorough this not much I could see I didn't already know.
  • Don't worry it's a joke now. Cell phones, Stress cards, No smoke session it's corrective action now. They can't cuss and this was fort knox. It will be 10 times easier in 2 years whenever you go.

it should be the same for both male and female

as far as i know its the same for females as it is for males.

The same as guys....tough and brutal

mental toughness and mental discipline, you need nerves and courage, and also be of good physical state.