Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 9 years ago

Is Sci-Fi literature dead?

Okay, I love science fiction, I love movies involving aliens and time travel and outer world anomalies (X-Files, Star Trek, Fringe, Aliens, Predator, Alien VS Predator, The Terminator movies, etc. I also love reading science fiction and have been doing my own writing for four years and hope to become a author some day, (not a big one like Stephen King but just someone who wants to share their made up world with other people). I love to write about other worlds and time travel as well as genetic mutations and why you shouldn't play with fate in the name of bettering the world.

Is there anyone out there who likes science fiction? I don't care if its comedy sci-fi or romance just as long as you like a little bit of sci-fi in your life. If you don't like sci-fi then please explain why.

• Jodie
    Favorite Answer

I love Sci-Fi, Aliens, Time Travel, Space Travel, black holes all that Futuristic stuff. But not too big on the whole Star Trek thing. But I can say I think the other guy is right, if Sci-Fi writers could connect with the readers a bit more, pull you in with your emotions, make you connect with the characters a bit then I think more people would read those types of novels. I feel like most of the futuristic novels out there make all the characters in the books seem cold and near emotionless (well have less emotion) and I don't particularly like that. I think some Sci-Fi gets thrown in with Fantasy and people look at it like it's going to be Aliens and Wizards fighting someone in some remote plane of existence in another realm and I don't know about you but when I read something like that on the back of the book, I instantly put it back. But when it comes to a book with a real story something that seems like a great read, then I'll give it a chance, but when it reads like a 10 year old playing make believe with a pen and paper, I just lose interest.

Niko is correct, times have certainly changed and science fiction doesn't have the sense of exploration any more. If you like character development, emotion, action and adventure in the old mold, you might try "Tunnel Through Space" by Tom Johnson. There is a Review on Amazon that attracted me to the story.

I love sci-fi , i like all these space stuff , i think they are not writing more books like the old sci-fi ones , because time have changed and today what was in the past fantasy is becoming real.

The thing with Sci-fi is that although it is good, most authors do not have the abilty to connect things to the reader. If you allow that connection, and use new ideas, i would love to read it!