The White Cat. asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

Can a dog catch lung cancer from smoking cigarettes?

I know this old guy who's a chain smoker and has a trashy dirty (he's a hoarder) small 800 sqft house with roaches and spiders and rats running around it, leaky pipes and ceilings, grime, chipped floor tiles, etc. It's worse than an abandoned house. His house is just disgusting and it smells like a giant cigarette. He's a chain smoker and spends every waking moment of his life smoking one cigarette after another and the windows are never open (they're boarded up with wooden planks and trash bags).

He has a pet dog and he's always smoking around the dog and I'm worried about the dog because I used to play with the dog when I was younger and it would cough up nasty stuff. Could the dog get respiratory/cardiac diseases or maybe even cancer from the second hand smoke?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

respiratory yes cancer no

• 9 years ago

There actually isn't any data accepted in the *scientific community* that proves second-hand smoke kills. There are a few widely known studies that present it as a possibility (hence laws banning smoking... and health conscious yuppies taking a stand against it), but many other studies (albeit haven't gotten much attention for political reasons) that STRONGLY suggest (and, if wider studies were done with the same results, prove) it has little or no effect.

Also, even for actual smokers... 50-60% of smokers die from smoking related illness (keep in mind, "related" is nebulous and doesn't factor in other causes - sedentary lifestyle, socioeconomics [note: lower class is more likely to smoke, but also less likely to have access to good health care, eat "properly", etc...] etc... and makes assumptions based on what smoking *may* cause, and assumes all smokers get that BECAUSE they smoke, not taking into account people who never smoke/aren't around people who smoke and get the same - ie: a smoker who dies of cardiovascular disease is counted as a "smoking death", but a non-smoker who dies of the same is counted as "natural causes"), but less than 10% die before the age of 75 of those smoking related illnesses. ALSO note that lung cancer (an asthma, etc...) in America has dramatically increased in the past half century, at the same time smoking has decreased by half. Most scientific studies suggest there are many other environmental factors and smoking is a smallest contributor.

Smoking's not good for you, but it's not as bad as anti-tobacco lobbyists have people believe, especially second-hand. Eating fast food once a week or more is shown to cause more health problems than smoking.

Will the dog die of cancer? Maybe. Will it be related to the man smoking cigarettes? Not likely, but it's possible. However, if he does, it will likely be when he's to the age a dog would be expected to die anyway. There's a certain age when your body just shuts down and *something* will catch up with you.

• 9 years ago

In a sense yes, but it in a sense no. While the smoke is a carcinogen that could cause mutations in the DNA that could lead to cancer after tumor suppressor genes fail and other safety mechanisms, it is fairly unlikely to actually happen to the dog. Possible yes, but realistically no.

• 9 years ago

My sil and her husband smoked in a tiny house and their dog died of cancer. Don't know if it's related but I wouldn't see why not, people can get cancer from second hand smoke.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

They can. Fortunately it rarely happens because smoke rises and dogs are below the level of the cigarette smoke.

• 9 years ago

It usually takes people at least 10 years to develop lung cancer, so it's unlikely a dog would get lung cancer second hand, or even first hand.

• 9 years ago

U should call animal control. Mabie the dude is doing drugs in the house

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Yes your animals are affected just like humans google it you'll get more information

• 9 years ago

Yes!! Deffinitely!!!

• Jeanne
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

If that is what he has to breathe...then I don't see how he could escape it. Have you reported this man to the Health Dept??? Something needs to be done here.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.